Any place that rents Glass Suction Handles?

Ted_C

I need roughly 6 of these to lift the 650 pound eight footer. Would like a one stop shop to rent all 6 of them.

Just called Sunbelt rentals on 34th st. For 6 of them for a whole day including insurance is $73.20.

Last edited:
I love harbor freight, I'll use their tools for mostly anything. Moving an 8 foot glass tank however isn't one of them.

I have 6 of the Harbor Freight ones to move my 300 gallon acrylic tank which was only 350 pounds. They were very marginal and we didn't trust them. Go for the rental (i only say that after I bought six and really didn't trust them).

I have 6 of the Harbor Freight ones to move my 300 gallon acrylic tank which was only 350 pounds. They were very marginal and we didn't trust them. Go for the rental (i only say that after I bought six and really didn't trust them).
Ted - if you want to use them on top of the 6 rentals, you are welcome to them. Adding extra hands certainly can't hurt.

I'd call Sunbelt now if I was you, and atleast reserve them.
Thanks Mike. I got an email back from Sunbelt. The handles are rated to a maximum of 125 pounds. I think I read somewhere that's around a maximum of 75 pounds with a safety factor of 2.

I could probably get away with 6 of them and be ok.

6 people should be able to move the tank without the handles as long as it's 1/2-3/4"
Yes - Agreed. I was thinking of just hiring two men and a truck again to help me get the aquarium on the stand. the 150 I bought from JMonks weighed around 300 pounds and two guys handled it up onto the stand with some huffing and puffing. The suction cups I'm thinking of for this go-around - are for safety and ease of moving.

Sorry Cuzza - I wont deal with craigslist. However, you do bring up an interesting question I was thinking about.

Would the TBRC be interested in renting or loaning out these cups? I was actually thinking of buying 6 of these: 10" DAMO Vacuum Suction Cup / Lifter for Granite & Glass Lifting (http://www.amazon.com/DAMO-Vacuum-S...423659200&sr=8-12&keywords=suction+cup+handle)
I would of course cut the TBRC a deal after I've used them.

Max rated for 200 pounds (so with the safety factor of 2 - figure it would be more than ~ 150 pounds) it's going to cover more surface area than an 8" cup or the double cup handles from harbor freight - so you have less chance of causing stress fractures because of the surface area your dealing with between the cups.

The only downside I see where the TBRC may not want to deal with them are:
Since aging and wear reduce the capacity of the rubber pad, it should be replaced at least once every 2 years or whenever cuts, slits or other surface damage is discovered.

I tried handles very similar to the harbor freight ones that were mentioned and they were not good at all for moving a large tank. They work well for smaller tanks or moving sheets of glass and acrylic but I wouldn't trust them for anything larger than a 55 gallon tank.

I used the better handles for moving my 450g tank and never felt good about it. Some slipped and it was a pain getting them attached good enough to hold without slipping. I was nervous the whole time.

When I moved my 500 we used beer power and it was easy.

Sorry Mike but those handles sucked. They pulled off more than once when the tank was in the air.

Sorry Ted but I would count on more than 6 guys to put that thing on the stand. Always better to have the extra hands just in case.

Oh I don't know Rob Mike had his end of the 300 by himself for a minute there I think 2-3 guys should do it, LOL.

I would have a minimum 8 people for this monster Ted. My 250 took 5 people to get it on the stand. I was getting sick and a little weak so I didn't have my normal strength which isn't much normally.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Like I said before - I'm going to hire two guys and a truck to move it from the garage to it's final resting place. Their pro's at this kinda stuff and it should go fairly easy.

Back