Any reason I COULDN'T use this pump?

MSUschmidt

So I have a 180 I just built in the wall and am setting up the sump and was looking for a nice sized pump. At my business I have a new BJM Pump in box that is a NON CORROSIVE Pump which puts out 39 GPM. (It's a Very expensive pump).

Here's a blip from their website.

Corrosion resistant sump pumps that are ideal for a wide variety of liquids. Pump body made of Noryl®. Pump motor shafts constructed of either Titanium, 316 Stainless Steel or 304 stainless steel. Elastomer choices include FKM, Buna-N and others.

deal for pumping everything from contaminated, dirty water, corrosive liquids to light dewatering.

Used in the following U.S. industries:
Metal Plating, Salt Mining, Plumbing, Marine, Agriculture, Aquaculture, Chemical, Rental, Utilities and Fire Departments.
Virtually unbreakable
Compact and lightweight. Only 13.5 Lbs.
Never rusts. Excellent resistance against acids, alkalis.

http://www.bjmpumps.com/view-category/?tx_bjmpumpsproducts[model]=Perfecta&no_cache=1

It's just sitting here, any reason besides it having a float on it (which I will just tape up in the on Position just in case) that I shouldn't use it???????

It should be OK. But don't tape up the float as the tape will degrade over time. Use a cable tie.

2300gph is OK, but then you have head loss. It's probably enough. Do you plan on any wave maker power heads or any other pumps to create more flow in the tank?

OH YEAH - I've got two Jabeo WP 40 Wave Makers, and a few other powerheads for the Display tank.

This pump, I was just thinking of using for the sump return pump in my 90 Gallon Sump

There's multiple reasons not to use this pump for a return pump. The first is the materials of construction. Titanium and passivated 316 won't corrode in saltwater, but 304 stainless will. Pumps of this sort are generally not rated for continuous duty - the typical duty cycle for a sump pump is about 30% on/ 70% off.

And then there's the power consumption. The page you linked to were for pumps that produce 46 gpm at zero head. They're 0.4 HP pumps, which equates to about 300 watts. That's a boatload of power for a return pump, and produces a bunch of heat (300 watts, of course).

For a 180 gallon tank, something like the Vertex V6 would get you all the flow you need, and at a power consumption of 65 watts.

There's multiple reasons not to use this pump for a return pump. The first is the materials of construction. Titanium and passivated 316 won't corrode in saltwater, but 304 stainless will. Pumps of this sort are generally not rated for continuous duty - the typical duty cycle for a sump pump is about 30% on/ 70% off.

And then there's the power consumption. The page you linked to were for pumps that produce 46 gpm at zero head. They're 0.4 HP pumps, which equates to about 300 watts. That's a boatload of power for a return pump, and produces a bunch of heat (300 watts, of course).

For a 180 gallon tank, something like the Vertex V6 would get you all the flow you need, and at a power consumption of 65 watts.
Agreed 100%. First think I was thinking was energy consumption and associated heat.

Back