Any special ways to do water changes?

to do w/c remove the old water via siphon hose. mix ro/di water with salt and test salinity. it should match the tank. heat the mix till temp is close to tank and pour in.

use a pump and pump the water in so it mixes a little at a time, that way theres not a huge dump of water coming in all of a sudden

Pour it in the sump if you have one. That way you don't disturb the fish or start a sand storm.

I drain my water from the sump and replace it back in there. My skimmer freaks out for a bit but I've never had a problem. How long are you letting your mixed water stand? I let mine mix with a powerhead for a minimum of 12 hours, 24 preferably.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12853546#post12853546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SleepyJ
Just pour the new water in slowly. My fish actually swim around where I pour the water in.

+1
I'm pretty low tech, no sump, just pour in water slowly. I use 5 gallon buckets to mix, but transfer it to a smaller bucket with a pouring spout for more control. I don't worry about an exact temperature match as long as I'm within a few degrees and am only doing a 10-20% water change.

Back