Anybody have a big venturi pump(s) I can borrow?

zachfishman

Hey all, I'm thinking of reusing this 50" relic, and would like to test things out before committing to $200-$300 in venturi pumps. Anyone have Sicce PSK-1000, Bubble Blaster 5000 or 10000 that I can borrow? Any different opinions on how I might bring this skimmer back to life?

Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2526637

For work I will be installing a 600g SPS system, and while I could budget many hundreds of dollars for a brand new skimmer, I was wondering if I could bring this old monster to life.

I don't know what it is/was, but it's definitely a recirculating model of some kind, with ports for two Eheim venturi pumps (one remains but is dead). How would you rebuild this beast? I'm between Mazzei injection (using the 1" port or dual 3/4" injectors) or sticking with an external feed and putting a Bubble Blaster 10,000 where that Eheim sits now (simpler).

Anyone know if the BB10000 can be hooked up with 3/4" plumbing, or will I need to drill new holes? Everything can be re-done with uniseals and plugged where needed.

It's coming back to life??? Ah the beast!!! lol

Here is a couple of shots of it when I first got a hold of it...

Here it is in all its glory, after I cleaned everything up.

Haha wow! I didn't know if it was an old Pier piece or something long forgotten from USF CMS. Was this custom?

Yeah I'm curious to see how it stacks up with a new venturi. It'd be great to only spend $300 on a BB-10000 instead of 3x that on a new LifeReef/MRC/MTC model.

Right now I'm between that and a single BB10000. The BB theoretically could inject ~4000lph of air while the Sicce would only do 2x720lph.

More isn't always better. Air draw and water throughput must be balanced to the body's ability to create a smooth chaotic free transition of water into foam. Higher numbers don't always yield more skimate.

More isn't always better. Air draw and water throughput must be balanced to the body's ability to create a smooth chaotic free transition of water into foam. Higher numbers don't always yield more skimate.

My plan was to use valves to dial down flow and/or air if necessary to find the sweet spot.

I'm using an external reeflo suntail with the optional needle wheel impeller they sell. I think they announced it at macna. It's a beast. I can post the flow rate graph if you want to see it. I'm using it to power the etss 2500 I modified. it looks like yours is about the size of mine. I put a 1/2 airline in a venturi I made from the bulkhead feeding it. I'll post pics if your interested. It's like 5 amps. I got tired of replacing multiple impellers almost yearly on the several skimmer pumps I was running before.

I'm using an external reeflo suntail with the optional needle wheel impeller they sell. I think they announced it at macna. It's a beast. I can post the flow rate graph if you want to see it. I'm using it to power the etss 2500 I modified. it looks like yours is about the size of mine. I put a 1/2 airline in a venturi I made from the bulkhead feeding it. I'll post pics if your interested. It's like 5 amps. I got tired of replacing multiple impellers almost yearly on the several skimmer pumps I was running before.

That's beastly! Might be more than this skimmer body can handle

What skimmer pumps were you running that needed impeller replacement?

Back