Anyone culturing or collecting sea grasses in the US?

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
So I was at one of my LFS and their Carribean display has some Star grass in it. When I asked about it, they said it’s illegal to collect and they got theirs from some lab in Florida. I think it would create a really neat sand cover and as I researched also paddle grass looks cool too.

So with all that said, I can’t find anything saying sea grass is illegal however it seems the only vendor that sells it is FloridaPets. I have reached out to them to see if they will be getting any in stock but was curious if anyone cultures or collects it and what their keys are to success.

Here’s the common/scientific names I’m looking at:

Star Grass/Halophila engelmannii
Paddle Grass/Halophila decipiens

Not the species you mentioned but here’s someone selling sea grasses.

If it’s illegal to collect, how the hell did the LFS get it from a lab? Sounds like you need to threaten to eat them out unless they give you some😉😂

Not the species you mentioned but here’s someone selling sea grasses.

If it’s illegal to collect, how the hell did the LFS get it from a lab? Sounds like you need to threaten to eat them out unless they give you some😉😂

Apparently a friend of an employee that works at some research lab or something. I have no idea.

I saw Aquaticus but yea was hoping for the shorter grasses

Gotcha. I wish Bill (billsreef) was still active in the hobby, he’d likely be able to hook you up. Unfortunately, he moved a long time ago and I lost touch with him.

Man that would be nice. I may have to check out some of parents local beaches in Virginia to see if there’s anything there.

I wonder when the last time @billsreef was on? Looks like a while

Man that would be nice. I may have to check out some of parents local beaches in Virginia to see if there’s anything there.

I wonder when the last time @billsreef was on? Looks like a while
Yep, I think Bill was last on in 2016. I used to get macros and various sea grasses from him.

Yes, there are various initiatives and organizations involved in the cultivation and conservation of seagrasses in the United States. Seagrass restoration projects, research, and conservation efforts exist across coastal regions in the U.S. to protect and restore these vital marine ecosystems.
Several scientific and environmental organizations, academic institutions, and government agencies are involved in seagrass research, including the Smithsonian Institution, The Nature Conservancy, local universities, state agencies, and environmental nonprofits.
Specifically, some state-specific programs and initiatives focus on seagrass restoration and protection. For example, in Florida, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) conducts research and restoration efforts related to seagrasses in various coastal regions.
These efforts typically involve studying seagrass ecosystems, monitoring their health, and implementing restoration programs to ensure the conservation and expansion of seagrass habitats. The primary goals are to preserve biodiversity, improve water quality, and maintain the ecological balance in coastal and marine environments.

So I was at one of my LFS and their Carribean display has some Star grass in it. When I asked about it, they said it’s illegal to collect and they got theirs from some lab in Florida. I think it would create a really neat sand cover and as I researched also paddle grass looks cool too.

So with all that said, I can’t find anything saying sea grass is illegal however it seems the only vendor that sells it is FloridaPets. I have reached out to them to see if they will be getting any in stock but was curious if anyone cultures or collects it and what their keys are to success.

Here’s the common/scientific names I’m looking at

While sea grass cultivation doesn't appear universally illegal, sourcing from reputable vendors like FloridaPets is essential. It's wise to await their response or explore alternatives, ensuring compliance with any regulations and success in cultivating Star and Paddle Grass.

Last edited:
I am specifically looking for pacific seagrasses, but they seem very difficult to find. Ideally I'd like some that is rooted and shipped in substrate, but I'd really take anything...

I thought Caribbean seagrasses could be collected from the shores when it washes up? Check ebay after a Florida hurricanes.

It seems many of the smaller sea grasses, or those that don’t grow as long are protected. According to Gulf Coast Ecosystems the area that Star Grass/Halophila engelmannii and Paddle Grass/Halophila decipiens grow in is a protected area in Florida now.

As for pacific sea grasses, can’t say I’ve looked for them though I’m sure some are available

There are 5 species of seagrass in Texas bays. Here is link. Seagrass Types — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Shoal grass is the most common. Would you be interested in any of these?
If you can find any, definitely the star grass. Mainly trying to stick with the smaller species

Edit to add - looks like it’s illegal to collect - Texas Parks & Wildlife Department: Seagrass

Edit again - honestly not sure. The specifies uprooting by means of propeller. Tex. Parks & Wild. Code § 66.024 – Seagrass Plants

If it’s legal by permit, definitely interested in Star Grass. If it’s not, please leave it be.

Last edited:

Here’s the common/scientific names I’m looking at:

Collecting and cultivating sea grass can be intriguing, and it's great that you're exploring it responsibly. While it's not inherently illegal to collect sea grass, specific regulations might apply depending on the region. Success in cultivating sea grass often involves providing proper lighting, substrate, and water conditions resembling its natural habitat. Collaborating with reputable vendors, like FloridaPets, or seeking guidance from marine biology forums can offer valuable insights into successful cultivation methods. Always ensure compliance with local regulations to promote responsible aquarium practices.

In speaking with Texas Wildlife & Fisheries enforcement, collection of marine livestock for personal use/not for sale is legal with a salt water fishing permit.

Just stumbled across this…
That’s interesting. It seems those are more beach species than tank species except the eel grass. Still pretty cool

That’s interesting. It seems those are more beach species than tank species except the eel grass. Still pretty cool
Yep, I was looking on my phone last night and didn't notice they're located in Maine. So, they are likely cold water species.

This guy sells turtle grass sprouted seeds.
I have bought them this way and have not lost any.

These guys sell manatee grass:

There are a few others that occasionally get some in.

These guys sell them but it has been a while since I have seen them instock:

there are these guys:

Another. I have heard good and bad:

Just as a quick update - Aquaticus has star grass in stock but I don’t want to risk it with current weather. I have no experience with them but it’s good to see it available.

Back