Anyone Have DE Lumanarc?

starrd27

Has anyone tried the new DE Lumanarc? I'm replacing one of my pendants - I'm either going with a Reef Optix III or the new DE Lumanarc. Would like to hear opinions. Also, would like to know how the glass is removed - is it an easy slide out like the Reef Optix or is a screwdriver required?

Thanks!

I just got my DE Lumenarc on Friday, but haven't installed it yet. The glass slides out very easily. No tools required.

Great - that's what I was hoping. The other question I have is: does the lamp stick out the back like the SE Lumanarc? I'm just wondering how much clearance I need behind the reflector.

Thanks!

Theres a guy in Cali. that has a lux meter and is currently in the process of testing them. here is the link. They look sweet.

starrd27. It looks like there are a few different styles. One likethis and one enclosed in the case and cord like this There $150 each. I tell you it never ends in this hobby $$$ I want these. The size is. 11.0" x 11.0" x 5.0" (L x W x H)

starrd27, nope nothing sticks out.

tfetter, i think starrd27 was asking about the new lumenarc DE. although i was considering the lumenmax 3, by Sunlight Supply, as well. i ended up getting the lumenarc for $30 less then the lumenmax, and more importantly I got it locally. nothing like immediate gratification.

Thanks for the info everyone. It's the DE Lumanarcs that I'm interested in. The Lumenmax look great, but they are huge! I also want to stick with DE bulbs because of the depth of my tank (30"). I already have 4 Reef Optix pendants which I think are great, but I'm wondering if the new Lumanarc would be even better [more spread]. I think I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks again.

Where can you find the DE Lumerarcs? Is there a pendant? A link would be nice.

Also, the newest Lumenmax pendants (Lumenmax 2 amd 3) are smaller than the original Lumenmax, so does anyone know how they compare to to the Lumenarc DE?

My understanding is that it's a pendant. I sent an email with a few questions and Anthony from Reef Exotics responded. He told me that the DE bulb is completely enclosed in the fixture. Therefore I assumed it was the entire pendant. I guess I'll soon find out.

I just talked to Anthony on the phone - it's a full pendant, including the bulb socket. He's very nice to deal with. So far, so good.

I just called Reef Exotics as well. Some conflicting info, I guess. He said the lumenarc DE wasn't REALLY a penant per se. Although it does come with 2 eye bolts that you can use to hang it from something. I'm not 100% sure I know what he means, but I guess he's trying to say that maybe it wouldn't look really nice or clean hanging out in the open, but would really be better suited to hanging in some sort of enclosure. But, this is just a guess.

Another question though. I curently use a bluewave 4 ballast for my HQI DE bulbs. Does anyone know if I could run this same ballast, and if so will the lumenarc de plug right nto it, or would there need to be modifications to the powercord? (Does it even come with a powercord?)

This will help me decide whether to try out these lumenarc des or go with lumenmax.

He told me that it wouldn't look nice hanging by itself because it's not painted black on the outside - it's that metal look - which is fine with me because I'll have it behind some cabinet doors. By "pendant" I think he was thinking you might want it to look like a sleek, black pendant. He was concerned that's what I was thinking as well.

I also asked him about the quick disconnect plug - it does not come with it. So you'll either have to strip the plug from the Blue Wave and hardwire them together, or buy the quick disconnect for the pendant side and hardwire it to the pendant so you can plug the pendant into the ballast plug. The quick disconnect cord is only about $8 at Marine Depot.

Thanks for the info. Thats exactly what I thought about whether this was a 'pendant' or not.

How hard is it to hardwire the quick disconnect to the lumenmax power cord? I dont have much experience with that. I'm always worried I'll start a fire or something.

Believe me, I'm not a wiring expert - I was afraid of anything electrical until I got into this hobby! I'll be wiring mine to an ice cap ballast which has great directions on how to do it. But if you get the quick disconnect cord (it's under the PFO Metal Halide accessories section on Marine Depot), I think it should be pretty easy because you'll only have to wire the pendant side. Anthony at Reef Exotics can probably walk you through which wires to connect. Then just slap some electrical tape on the connections and you're done!

Wow - I just ordered it yesterday and I already received it!! It looks just like the Lumanarc, but much smaller. The DE socket is included and there is a long cord with bare wires to connect directly to the ballast. I'm waiting for my ice cap ballast and I should be good to go!

Just got it hooked up and I love it! The coverage is great. I have it right next to Sunlight Supply RO III pendants and I think it's even better than those!

Back