Anyone Thinking of Dumping LEDS and going back to Halides

I have 4 Kessil A360 X and two 400 watt MHs on my 400 gal SPS dominant tank...I'll always have LEDs for the viewing on my relaxing evenings. The MHs come on while I'm at work, they give my tank the growth it needs, but not very calming like the blue tones from my LEDs..I think a combo is the only way to get that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i DUMPED LED AND JUST WENT BACK TO T5 AND THE CORALS IN 24 HOURS WERE LOVING THE NEW LIGHT!! NO REGRETS...I do miss the shimmer but I will throw a reef brite on there and voila ! Of course Metal Halide was a riot and grew corals like weeds!

I've been out the game too long. How long do the halide bulbs last
in my experience MH have a 12-16 month life cycle at close-to-full strength. Then , they gradually fall off, but not the rapid decline that is common the fluorescent bulbs. I've known people to use a single-ended MH bulbs for 3 years and it still had significant output.

YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Alton,

Thanks for the reply. I might have to look into the Radiums then.

Anyone else running 20K Radiums care to post a tank shot?

Thanks

No way it's too blue. You do want to use an hqi ballast with them (overdrive them). I switched from reeflux as well. I also run with dual super actinic vho, because I find it's not blue enough. With T5s it will be crisp white.

picture.php

No way it's too blue. You do want to use an hqi ballast with them (overdrive them). I switched from reeflux as well. I also run with dual super actinic vho, because I find it's not blue enough. With T5s it will be crisp white.

Thanks for the info.
I ended up getting the Giesemann that I was looking for. I'm running (2) 250W DE Phoenix 14K set on the HQI setting. This fixture also has (4) 54W T5s and I running (2) ATI Coral Plus and (2) ATI Pure Actinics.

With in 2 weeks, the corals colored up, growth took off, the overall appearance look so much better.
For reference, I had (3) Radion XR30 G4 Pro with diffusers running the AB+ at 80%.

Back