Anyone Thinking of Dumping LEDS and going back to Halides

Are we talking about a reef tank or plant tank regarding the PAR value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we talking about a reef tank or plant tank regarding the PAR value.

Tom Barrs discussion is for planted freshwater tanks..

Since the PAR necessary for fw tanks is "relatively" low in comparison to sw needs, MH's just won't survive well except as a "specialty look".
Granted the same LED vs everyone else is still even present in fw discussions.

That "victory" will generally be easier.. LOL..

Terrestrial plants, fw aquatic plants, sw photosynthetic organisms.. many similarities, many differences..

Last edited:
Corals react to light different from plants. [emoji3]
Light under water is refracted. Use what ever light
GIVES YOU. The results YOU want. It may not be what someone else wants.

Corals react to light different from plants. [emoji3]
Light under water is refracted. Use what ever light
GIVES YOU. The results YOU want. It may not be what someone else wants.

Indeed. Lighting is more a preference these days. All major led fixtures on the market have more than enough PAR for coral.

ok. Back to the more serious discussion... the V4 ORPHEK is the best single lighting system i have tried hands downs. Just trying to help...

It was the sound of the gas lantern plus the light that really made it such a cool device for camping. I wonder what that spectrum looks like?

It was the sound of the gas lantern plus the light that really made it such a cool device for camping. I wonder what that spectrum looks like?

W/ or without the Alpha radiation?

Incandescent gas mantle lanterns work by using kerosene as a fuel to light a mantle, a bag of cloth covered in metallic salts. ... Many mantles in retail lanterns still contain Thorium, with 50 million mantles sold in 2000 containing the radioactive element

Just need some perspective for the joke..
The danger from using these mantles around a campfire one or twice a year is not substantial, with exposure of roughly 0.005 millirems coming through a couple of nights spent by Thorium gas lantern light. Under extreme exposure conditions "” 4800 hours during a year from simultaneous use of four different Thorium mantle lanterns "” an individual is exposed to roughly 200 millirems. This is not a large amount, as 200 millirems is roughly the same amount exposure you would get from receiving a CT scan of your head.

Visited Shedd Aquarium today, took a picture of their coral conservation exhibit.

9el0igGh.png

cgDRucHh.png

:rollface:

I have been playing with LEDs for two years. L

+1

I have two 400 watt halides over my tank and am adding a third. I am going to ramp down my LED'd and use them here and there and for moon lighting

Nothing makes the tank or corals look as good as halides.

Bought a few sps recently from a member running radion G4’s. This member is extremelly experienced with top notch sps. The corals in his frag tanks looked exactly like mine when I ran G4’s, healthy but a 7 out of 10.

I placed the new pieces in my tank where I run 2x 250w radiums. Needless to say I see a big change in how they look now a few days later. Its like they started getting back something they were starving for, almost like a rescue. I hate the damn heat from the mh’s but it is such a small price to pay considering what I lose going to led. Im adding blue leds for pop/dusk and dawn which is all I miss from that system.

Ive ran orphek, hydras, g4’s...all great, but not MH great.

Last edited:
Back