Anyone Thinking of Dumping LEDS and going back to Halides

Ok let's mix things up a bit, I'm currently a few months in on my Plasma LEP drivin cube tank. Some say LEP is just a halide bulb that lasts 10 years, they may be right, but it sure has spectrum and it sure has punch!

Over the last decade I've run halide, T5, DIY led and off the shelf led, so plasma had to be tested :)

Here's a few shots from my crappy iPad.

My light sits a good 18 inches above the water, my tank is 500mm deep and 1000mm square. The Gavita is good for a meter square for growing hydro, so I've based it on those stats, I'd love to get a PAR under it. LEDs are for evening viewing and adding blue when the plasma is on, gives an 8-10k appearance with plasma.

I've run 400watt 10k halide before and this looks similar, just without the heat!

One thing I have learnt with LEP is don't go by judge intensity by looks, it's way more intense, my corals initially couldn't take 4 hours a day, even with the light so high, I had to drop to 3 hours a day and the two little Ai lights for the rest, gradually I've taken it up to 4.5 hours. Also LEP is like a big LED, the bulb is the size of a tic tac, so it's very directional, even with the reflector, as such I've had to put some T5 at the back of the tank to help a little.

Next issue, algae :) This is the bloom version bulb, so less red, but it still likes to grow the green stuff :) so to compensate I run a 130w CFL grow light in the sump over cheato and caulerpa , it's worked a treat so far.

Anyway thought I'd chuck in Plasma as a topic twist, some may just say it's halide, either way I'll be testing for the next year to see how she goes.

Forgot to mention , my goniporas LOVE the plasma, don't know why but they expand out way more than under my other lights, even the 400w halide.

VJ9wKPo_d.jpg

And a few tank shots with just the led on at night.

YlPEN5D_d.jpg

vSOXzqA_d.jpg

6iw4eOI_d.jpg

interesting.
I am not sure plasma is going anywhere, I thought maybe it would.
At Lightfair this year I would have thought I would see several fixtures and there were none.
Maybe that will change.

interesting.
I am not sure plasma is going anywhere, I thought maybe it would.
At Lightfair this year I would have thought I would see several fixtures and there were none.
Maybe that will change.

I don't think it will go anywhere, they weigh a tonne ! They are expensive and colour control is limited, limited install options due to their size. Only thing going for them is that awesome smooth spectrum and bulb life. They entered the market too late, they lined up with Led, bad timing, 10 years earlier and they would have had a chance until led.

I don't think it will go anywhere, they weigh a tonne ! They are expensive and colour control is limited, limited install options due to their size. Only thing going for them is that awesome smooth spectrum and bulb life. They entered the market too late, they lined up with Led, bad timing, 10 years earlier and they would have had a chance until led.

Yea..

From the picture the color of the light coming out is pretty white and pleasing to the eye.

Would be curious on spectrum and par..

I'm setting up a 210. I'm thinking of going with the Cebu Sun light. I'd like to grow SPS and eventually have a clam on the bottom. What setup would you run on this tank?

Thanks!

Billy

For those interested in plasma I have found some good points and some bad.

Some acro love it, some acro hate it. Acro that hate it, tan themselves into a dark brown. Acro that love it, grow like wildfire and colour up. Gonipora LOVE it.

So I'm thinking corals that are shallow water, naturally thrive in sunlight spectrum, where the corals 5m and below are not used to the spectrum.

I noticed one coral growing like mad and another almost stunted.

So I am now running my old 20k halide and led. And have notice things are happier in colour. But lots of corals don't seem as happy in health, by that I mean polyp extension etc, they may simply be adjusting. But something's missing.

So I'm thinking I need to gradually introduce the plasma again, but ensure when it's running that it's flanked by some 25k halides to help keep that spectrum up higher and still deliver the insane broad spectrum of the plasma :)

To sum It up plasma on its own is too intense in the lower kelvin. But offers the full spectrum. Let's see how a combination goes.

I went from 400 watt radions, to 2 x 8 bulb T5 ATI, to Led cheap, to LED mid range expense... and Although I miss the total coverage of the MH and the way the corals think they are the true SUNlight... i COULD NO longer part with the colour that LED causes and the viewing look of the LED... I think that LED supplemented with t5 is now the best combo for both colour and growth combined... MH as much as I loved them was not near as vivid as either LED or T5.... 20k or no 20k just notttttt as vivid and sharp colouration..probably closer to nature but....I am spoiled now on the sharp colours....but it has crossed my mind now and then to go back to MH as I miss the total no brainer of how the corals and even Magnifica anemones love em!

I went from 400 watt radions, to 2 x 8 bulb T5 ATI, to Led cheap, to LED mid range expense... and Although I miss the total coverage of the MH and the way the corals think they are the true SUNlight... i COULD NO longer part with the colour that LED causes and the viewing look of the LED... I think that LED supplemented with t5 is now the best combo for both colour and growth combined... MH as much as I loved them was not near as vivid as either LED or T5.... 20k or no 20k just notttttt as vivid and sharp colouration..probably closer to nature but....I am spoiled now on the sharp colours....but it has crossed my mind now and then to go back to MH as I miss the total no brainer of how the corals and even Magnifica anemones love em!

Totally agree, halide (maybe radium) excluded never show vivid colours. I run an XM 10k, it's on while I'm away at work, I never see the tank under them nor do I want to :) I run Ai leds at night, tuned to how my eye wants them.

I'm thinking I'll flank my halide with T5 and run led at night :)

Halide and T5, ya can't go wrong :) heat/power and bulbs cost, but so would 4 Radion G4 pros ! Unless I was vegan and had to have led only.

Thinking of going back - I am!

Thinking of going back - I am!

Ok, there has been a ton of discussion/debate/fisk-a-cuffs whether or not LED is better than MH. I DON'T want to go there.

I'm here for MH/T5 info.
Current tank 120G SPS dominant and using 3 Radion G4 Pros running the AB+ lighting scheme. I went this route with this build. But I am not happy with the results. On the last tank, I was running (2) 250w HQI Phoenix 14k with (2) 54w T5. I've always ran MH/T5 combo. This was in an Aquamedic fixture.

I would like to upgrade to (4) T5 and a new fixture. I was looking at the Giesemann Infiniti HQI-DE/T5 2 x 250w / 4 x 54 watt but it's not available from any USA suppliers, but can be ordered directly then shipped. Not an option I want to try.

So I'm looking into the Hamilton 4 FT CEBU SUN SYSTEMS - 2 X 250 WATT & 4 X 54 WATT T5 HO with the electronic ballast option. But it's not HQI.

Any other fixtures to look at?

So, those of you running MH/T5 combo, thoughts on single end vs HQI and what single end lamp compares the closest to the Phoenix 14k? I know some will say the Radium 20k but I'm just afraid it will be to "blue".

TIA

Giesemann Spectra Series would get my vote. Although I have not used this fixture, I helped some one with one and I love the fact it uses single ended so you can use Phoenix and Radium lamps. I have seen the 4' ones for sale used many times, once in a while you will see a 6'

Alton,
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look for a decent used Giesemann since I can't get new.
The Phoenix, as far as I know, is only available as double ended. If I do go the single ended route, I'm not sure what lamp I will use. The Radium is only available in 20K, and I'm a little apprehensive that it might be to "blue" for my tastes.

The Radium is really not 20 K, it is 14 K. The 12K Reeflux lamp were bluer than the Radium. I ran both Phoenix 14K SE and Radium 20K at the same time using Lumen Brite Pendants and people could not tell the difference looking at my tank, and the Par meter read the same depending on the age of the lamps. I ran a Lumen Brite DE Pendant with Phoenix DE lamps and the Par was not as high as the SE lamps on my office tank.

Attachments

• 300 with mh on R.jpg
    300 with mh on R.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2
Alton,

Thanks for the reply. I might have to look into the Radiums then.

Anyone else running 20K Radiums care to post a tank shot?

Thanks

Back