Anyone try the new Tunze or D-D salt?

spankey

Just curious? I am game to place an order for salt and seen these two brand salts on sponser sites... I read up on the D-D and it seems pretty impressive!!!

Any thoughts or comments if anyone has tried these?

Thanks
Spank.

started the d & d. have not used enough to know if its a improvement over reef crystals yet. have noticed a little better look out of corals. only done three water changes so far with it

I've tried both and thought they were both very good. Corals seemed to like both of these salts. Some people say that the D&D salt has a higher PO4 level than many salt mixes though; but not everyone has that experience.

<<< I read up on the D-D and it seems pretty impressive!!! >>>

I've used it in one of my tanks where I was previously using Seachem Reef Salt, and frankly I really don't see what's so impressive about it. I know the D&D salt is produced using a solar evaporation process at the Red Sea and then they enhance some of the parameters (very similar to what Red Sea Salt does), and it tested out for me very similar to the Red Sea Salt major specs such as pH, Ca, Mg, Alk, also.

I haven't tried the Tunze salt, however I think it's overpriced just like the D&D salt, and I don't think any of these 'designer brand name' salts are worth the much higher price IMO. I also don't think they're superior to any of the widely used major brand name salts such as Seachem, Red Sea, Reef Crystals, etc.

I've used it in one of my tanks where I was previously using Seachem Reef Salt, and frankly I really don't see what's so impressive about it. I know the D&D salt is produced using a solar evaporation process at the Red Sea and then they enhance some of the parameters (very similar to what Red Sea Salt does), and it tested out for me very similar to the Red Sea Salt major specs such as pH, Ca, Mg, Alk, also.

The major difference between D&D and RedSea Coral Pro is the alkalinity: 9.5-10dhk for D&D, and ~7dhk for RSCP.

<<< The major difference between D&D and RedSea Coral Pro is the alkalinity: 9.5-10dhk for D&D, and ~7dhk for RSCP. >>>

I was comparing to the regular Red Sea salt, not the Coral Pro version. IIRC, the Red Sea tested out to about 8 - 8.5 dKH and the D&D was at about 9.5 dKH both at 1.0264, that's pretty similar as I see it, as were the other major specs :)

yeah, I see what you mean.

I am not going steady with any particular salt mix but I want to! I just haven't found the right one yet. :) Lately I am mixing a higher alk salt mix (D&D, Tunze, or RBS) with a lower alk salt mix (Red Sea Coral PRo) to get the alkalinity where I want it to be.

Most of the tried and true salt mixes out there have alk levels much higher than I want so I resort to mixing.

I will give the D-D a shot and report back. I have tried IO, RC, TMP, RSCP, Organic Salt, IO and Oceanic mix and so far not either are near perfect. Always have to dose something.

I just figured I would ask, I am game to try anything once. I ordered two small buckets so we will see.

Back