Anyone use just Instant Ocean For Reef!

triggerfreak

Well with the recent price jump on salt i am looking into running instant ocean in my reef instead of reef crystals.Is there anyone else that uses instant ocean in there reef tanks.

I did for a number of years with no problem.........all LPS, so you may need to run it by people who have SPS dominated if that's your goal.

Only sps i have are a few monti caps.All lps and softies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14201845#post14201845 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Laddy
I did for a number of years with no problem.........all LPS, so you may need to run it by people who have SPS dominated if that's your goal.

I'm using it for last 6 years - seems to be fine - I have mixed lps, softies and some sps - it keeps my calcium about 400 and magn about 1300

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14201875#post14201875 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ICUP
I'm using it for last 6 years - seems to be fine - I have mixed lps, softies and some sps - it keeps my calcium about 400 and magn about 1300

There are many threads on how IO tests out. Usually around 375 calcium and 1180 in Mg. in my experience.

IO all the way since day 1. Keep sps,lps, softies, zoas, clams, anemones, oh and fish

Dose randys two part to keep values up!

IO all the way... but you have to supplement it to keep your levels of mg and Ca+ (IO always is fine in kh in my experience)

i just do water changes with IO and dose kalk. nothing else goes in my tank. mostly SPS and clams in the tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14204911#post14204911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by madadi
i just do water changes with IO and dose kalk. nothing else goes in my tank. mostly SPS and clams in the tank.

Same, but with-out the clams. I do add mag tho. With just water changes, my calcium and dKH levels were always great, but mag under 1000.

IO from the beginning. I have a reactor and recently dripping dilute kalk slowly (instead of topping off with pure RO/DI) and have been getting great results with sps polyp extension.

I think Kalk + Mag with IO is cheaper than going with a "higher quality" salt. It also gives you a bit more control over what you add and how much.

Back