Anyone with a bare bottom used these?

nhbsab

I am looking for your experience.
Has anyone used epoxy and sand for their bottom? If so would you do it again?
Are for those with starboard. What thickness did you like and how hard was it to keep clean from algea?
Thanks in advance
Stephen

I run bb, have done starboard, not bad for reg algae, coraline spreads like crazy on the stuff, last couple of tank ive just had bare glass, dsa tints the bottom of theirs black, scrape it w scraper once every other wk to keep clean, have seen epoxy sand ones that look pretty cool in the early stages, but cant help but think coraline would take over pretty quick as well, but coral would probebly grow on it better too. Saw someone paint the outside bottom white too help reflect light, and someone did epoxt sand on outside bottom as well. Sam

Thanks Sam. I figured the epoxy and sand combo would be hard to clean unless you were to make it smooth so it can be scrapped. I am wanting it for a dsa tank. I will look at painting the underside.

Coralline covered my BB in about 6 months. I was going to paint the underside of mine white but didn't want to keep up with scraping the coralline off.

The current system that I have for well over a year is a low nutrient SPS with a bare bottom. The new system I am about to set up will benefit from some reflection. I sawed some pukini in half to make a suspended reef.

A bunch of vendors in the Miami area are using travertine tile as an alternative. It's calcium carbonate, so once it's had a decent acid bath to clean any contamination from shipping/manufacturing, it is good to go. It will prevent detritus accumulation, provide additional biological filtration and becomes frag discs once overgrown that can be popped out and replaced. It also looks more natural than BB or Starboard.

A bunch of vendors in the Miami area are using travertine tile as an alternative. It's calcium carbonate, so once it's had a decent acid bath to clean any contamination from shipping/manufacturing, it is good to go. It will prevent detritus accumulation, provide additional biological filtration and becomes frag discs once overgrown that can be popped out and replaced. It also looks more natural than BB or Starboard.

Take a pic I would like to c that. What size tiles?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2420434&highlight=whitesharks&page=2

Here's a good example that I think turned out well. Personally I like a few marine species that need sand and find bare bottoms make a tank look un-natural, but to each his own. If I didn't want loose sand I would do this.

In fact, I did this same thing for my koi pond and it has worked great. Basically I just covered the bottom of my pond with white and blue gravel and then poured in the two part glazing epoxy while mixing it into the gravel and then smoothed it out and let it sit. Now I have a bright colored pond and cleaning is a breeze. Basically it's a similar technique to how they pebble tec pools.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2420434&highlight=whitesharks&page=2

Here's a good example that I think turned out well. Personally I like a few marine species that need sand and find bare bottoms make a tank look un-natural, but to each his own. If I didn't want loose sand I would do this.

In fact, I did this same thing for my koi pond and it has worked great. Basically I just covered the bottom of my pond with white and blue gravel and then poured in the two part glazing epoxy while mixing it into the gravel and then smoothed it out and let it sit. Now I have a bright colored pond and cleaning is a breeze. Basically it's a similar technique to how they pebble tec pools.

CuzzA, that was the sand epoxy combo I am wondering about. That thread has a lot of ideas that I will incorporate in this build. Thanks. I am a little concerned about algae with that route.

Take a pic I would like to c that. What size tiles?

I am in Land O Lakes... You can feel free to drive to Miami for a pic.:rollface:

I've seen 12" and 4" in photos from that group. The 12" gives a nicer finish; the 4" allows for popping tiles out to harvest corals growing on them. A frag saw is ideal for cutting corners and overflow cutouts.

CuzzA, that was the sand epoxy combo I am wondering about. That thread has a lot of ideas that I will incorporate in this build. Thanks. I am a little concerned about algae with that route.

Yeah, I'm not sure why he had the explosion of bubble algae. Must of had an aggressive strain.

Back