AP 12g lighting upgrade question

dwdenny

I am in the process of upgrading the lighting in my AP 12g. I am going to DIY a canopy iso I was thinking of putting in a 70w MH retro. I will use the ballast from the current hood so that I can use the PC for dusk/dawn and the LED for moon lights. All Zoa tank maybe a ric or two.

1st question is should I go with the 14kk or 20kk bulb?

2nd question how high should I have the bulb off the surface?
I was thinking about 6" but I am not sure as I have never used MH.

I will have 2 or 3 fans to help cool things and I keep the Air at 75 in the house so that will help keep things cool as well.

Here is a quick pic (I know the cyano is there I added another pw and that has taken care of it)
IMG_0012-1.jpg

Thanks for your input
Doug

good to know that is what I have been reading. I want more color then the PC lighting is giving me and the 20kk will give that to me from what I have read about MH. Thanks for your input Jon.

All i did was swap out my Stock Ap12 bulbs for some 10K bulbs and a true actinic bulb and I love it thus far.
Would be cool to retrofit a 70Mh in my hood tho.

I have a NC12 and I have the 70w MH in the stock hood along with 2x18 actinics and love it! I am using the Ushio 14k bulb and to me it's white with a hint of blue to it and with the actinics it's about perfect to me.

I thought about that to EKlikewhoa, but I thought I would build a new canopy as the AP hoods are a PITA to take off. Plus I don't want the MH that close to the water. Thanks for everyones input, I am going to try the 20kk and actinics for dusk/dawn only and if I don't like it the I will switch to the 14kk and run the actinics for a bluer look.

I had the PC actinics on last night and the wife walked by and saw the Zoa's green center glowing and now she is all excited about this. lol I had always told her if she would just take a minute and look at the tank she would see what I do. I finally happened. :) I got the materials to build the canopy but between a new baby coming on the 30th and moving to a new home from the 4th-9th it will have to wait a bit. I will slowly get it built when I get a chance. Thanks for everyone input it is very helpful.

Thanks again
Doug

No mention here about the type of bulb you're getting. Ushio is notorious for being whiter than an actual 14K. Typically, Ushio 14K's are more like 10-11K and their 20K more like a 14K. If you're getting an Ushio, get the 20K. Or better yet, get a Astralux 14K bulb. It's a similar color to the Phoenix 14K which is a crisp white with a blue hue. Perfect in my opinion.

Might try that and if it is not blue enough then I will run the actinics as well. Relly like the 20kk look. It really makes the colors pop and this being a nano I don't really need fast growth rates. Thanks for the info Mike

dwdenny, Congrats on the baby and good luck with your move! I also have a ap12 that I was trying to find a way to use the actinic from the stock hood to go with my sunpaq 70w MH. I am very interest in your canopy and would like to know if you have taken some pics and if so would you mind posting (when you get a chance of course :)

Back