Apex Control of R3 230 watt

Overboard

Premium Member
Hi Scott,

I have the R3 230 watt and really love how quiet it is. It is amazing.

As I complete my set up, I want to tie the pump into my 2016 Apex. I think there must be a cable I can order from RE that connects to the controller for the pump? If I am looking at this correctly, would I then connect it via a VDM module for the Apex? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Many thanks!
Mark

Hi Scott,

I have the R3 230 watt and really love how quiet it is. It is amazing.

As I complete my set up, I want to tie the pump into my 2016 Apex. I think there must be a cable I can order from RE that connects to the controller for the pump? If I am looking at this correctly, would I then connect it via a VDM module for the Apex? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Many thanks!
Mark

Mark,
Are you using this for your return pump or a closed loop? I run a pair on my system. One for my return and one for my closed loop. The closed loop pump is controlled by my Apex but I opted to leave the return pump off the Apex. Return pumps are set it and forget it pumps and obviously one of the most critical pumps to our systems. If the return is connected to the Apex and the Apex VDM ports fail, the pump will stop. Also, the RD3 controller allows for more precise control over flow than the VDM ports will allow. As such, I personally feel it's best to leave the return pump off the Apex control. Some like to slow the pumps down during feeding but generally these pumps are used in larger systems where the return pumps flow can be very useful in distributing the food throughout the tank which is exactly what I do. The only time I ever shut my return pump off is for maintenance on the pump and I just use the RD3 controller for that or shut the power outlet off via my aquarium controller. Just food for thought. No point in spending money if there isn't a good reason to.

You want this cable:

http://royalexclusiv.com/Flow-Pumps...nnection-to-the-Controller-Computer::860.html

The cable plugs into the 0-10v port on your Apex. If you've already used the built in ports, then a separate VDM would be necessary.

For what it's worth, it's super simple to do.

That is the one! We may be back ordered on them at the moment.

Thanks for the insight Scott.

I use mine as the return pump only, so you bring up some good points. I am very happy with the flexibility provided by the Red Dragon controller and, like you say, it is mostly just set it and forget it. I don't alter the flow for feeding or anything.

I guess I could plug the pump into my EB832 just to be sure it is being powered and running. I will have my skimmer on a delayed start up should we have a power outage and this would just be one more way to check that all is good after an event. (I am actually finding the ability of the EB832 to monitor power for each plug pretty handy!).

Thanks for all the help guys!

Thanks for the insight Scott.

I use mine as the return pump only, so you bring up some good points. I am very happy with the flexibility provided by the Red Dragon controller and, like you say, it is mostly just set it and forget it. I don't alter the flow for feeding or anything.

I guess I could plug the pump into my EB832 just to be sure it is being powered and running. I will have my skimmer on a delayed start up should we have a power outage and this would just be one more way to check that all is good after an event. (I am actually finding the ability of the EB832 to monitor power for each plug pretty handy!).

Thanks for all the help guys!

:beer:

Back