Api

phishlet

Premium Member
After being a long time Salifert test kit user for years... I've had some consistency issues as others on this board have pointed out. So I purchased a bunch of Seachem tests. My goodness. Those things are some of the most difficult/frustrating kits to use.

I was at PetSmart today picking up some salt and noticed they had the API ReefMaster kit on sale for $26 so I picked it up. It has Phosphate, Nitrate, Alk, and Calcium kits included. If it weren't for the fact that I've read on this board how many of you are using the API kits I never would have taken them seriously. I've always thought API stuff was low end. But I'm pleased with these kits. The color changes are good and they seem quite accurate and they are very easy to use. Yeah you have to put a lot of drops in the vials but that's really no big deal. I like the glass vials as opposed to the plastic jobs that come with most other brands.

Anyway, so far so good. I'm pleased.

:thumbsup: :D

I've been saying this for awhile now. Just because they are cheap doesn't mean they don't work.

billybeau1 is correct api test kits leave fellow reefers with a false sense of being accurate. i have tried them and I planning to go with elos And I reccomend that we all give elos a try

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12223297#post12223297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drd
billybeau1 is correct api test kits leave fellow reefers with a false sense of being accurate. i have tried them and I planning to go with elos And I reccomend that we all give elos a try

thats nots what he said at all..

Well, let me say it a different way. :D

I use API kits all the time for general testing. I am very happy with the results with the exception of the PO<sub>4</sub> kit. It just does not read low levels of phosphate very well. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12226354#post12226354 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
Well, let me say it a different way. :D

I use API kits all the time for general testing. I am very happy with the results with the exception of the PO<sub>4</sub> kit. It just does not read low levels of phosphate very well. :)

Cool. Please share more about the phosphate readings.

Well, the last color bar before zero is .25 ppm.

So that means anywhere between .25 ppm and zero. Thats not good enough as far as I'm concerned.

You want a kit that can at least tell you when you are at or below .03 ppm.

I am SO frustrated with alk kits its not even funny.

On the bright side....my tests should be back from AWT tomorrow or so and from what I hear I probably cant trust what they say either. lol

At my house currently I have 3 saliferts all reading differently with a 4 dkh difference in between them, , a elos that roughly matches two API's and a third API that reads 3 points higher than the two API's and Elos that matches.

:rolleyes:

I have no idea what my alk is although I am guessing that the one salifert that is less than a point difference between the matching two API's and the Elos is ballpark.

Was everything I just said confusing?? Exactly. Im living it. :lol:

Just want to say thanks for all those involved in the test kit study comparison...its awesome and very interesting!!!!

I've recently purchased 3 new Ca tests, API, Salifert, and LaMotte. They are all showing my water at about 500 Ca. The API is the cheapest. Guess what I'll be buying when I use these up?

I've always said API was accurate. As long as you are ok with being within 20 ppm, thats a good thing. Some folks want more precise.

As long as you are good with 20 ppm increments, you'll be good to go. :)

I was able to do that with Elos but I haven't tried it with API. It may work. I'll have to give it a try. :)

You would have to use someone elses vials though as I dont believe you can get 10 ml in the API vial.

One question on the API kits.. do you use the line printed on the test vial or measure the 5ml with a syringe? I have used several different syringes and they all show the vial's line to hold a little less than the 5ml the directions call for. Maybe it's just me.. but I always use the syringe and find it matches salifert's test results more consistantly.

I know what you mean. But I find using the line supplied provides more accurate results.

All in all, there is probably not much of a difference in the final result due to the general number of the results that API provides. :)

Thanks.. I usually use them as a confirmation test anyway.. but they are easy to use, and I haven't had any bad kits like I have with other brands. (hence the confirmation tests)

Back