Aptasia killing me

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15598273#post15598273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kevantheman35
aptasia x absolutely does not work. They always come back and multiply within 4-5 days

On the contrary, IMO it works great. The trick is to not let your tank get to the point where you're overrun. If I see an aiptasia in my tank, I kill it no questions asked. Once you're to the point where you're trying to do battle with an army of aiptasia, you'll lose and the only hope is to boil the rocks (maybe you can get the job done with peps/nudis/butterflys, but maybe not).

Also, I think people tend to skimp on the Aiptasia-X. I overkill, and so far have yet to see one come back.

I just got a raccoon butterfly fish and he's eating aptaisia. I almost feel sorry for them (not really), as all of their tentacles are gone, nothing but their little disks are left, with some small stubs of tentacles around the edge.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15662429#post15662429 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Canarygirl
I just got a raccoon butterfly fish and he's eating aptaisia. I almost feel sorry for them (not really), as all of their tentacles are gone, nothing but their little disks are left, with some small stubs of tentacles around the edge.

HaHa, hearing about mass aptasia demise just makes me smile! :)

Did you do anything particular to get him to eat aptasia? I've had CBB for about a week and he hasn't touched any of mine yet.

it was a lucky accident. I have him in a 55 g tank by himself and a bunch of live rock. I wanted him to eat majanoes so I've been putting a few rocks in there that have majanos on them...lo and behold he went after aptaisia for a change of pace. He's not eating anything I feed him, unfortunately. Wierd, cuz I saw him eat in the LFS. That's the last time I've seen him eat anything in the way of "fish food."

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15662173#post15662173 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OwenInAZ
On the contrary, IMO it works great. The trick is to not let your tank get to the point where you're overrun. If I see an aiptasia in my tank, I kill it no questions asked. Once you're to the point where you're trying to do battle with an army of aiptasia, you'll lose and the only hope is to boil the rocks (maybe you can get the job done with peps/nudis/butterflys, but maybe not).

Also, I think people tend to skimp on the Aiptasia-X. I overkill, and so far have yet to see one come back.

+1

The trick with Aiptasia-X is to smother the little pests and don't let the tiny ones sneak by. Also make sure you wipe out as many as you can in one treatment. Turn off your powerheads while you hose the aiptasia and leave them off for about 15 min after you finish. You may need to repeat this a couple of times but IME the time and patience you put in will definitely be worth it.

CBB will eat the tiniest or the biggest aipatasias,they are veracious feeders feeding on worms,fanworms and those glass anemones. I give it a week and they are all gone.

I bought a copperband butterfly to kill off the aiptasia, but it ate my trachy instead...
So be carefull

update on my raccoon butterflyfish

I have run out of small to med sized rocks to put in there for him to eat majanos/aptaisia off of. He cleans them off in a day. I worry that he may start to starve because he won't eat any kind of food that I've put in there (mysis, bloodworms, Rod's food, frozen ocean plankton, nothing!).

Right now my options are to put him in my display where he'll have lots to eat until he runs out of majanos--maybe 2 weeks, max. And risk him eating on my squamosa clam, scolyphilia, acans, zoanthids...try to trap him out later and then what will I do with him?

Or I could take him back to the LFS now, in spite of the fact that I still have a few hundred majanos in my display tank.

I am laying awake at night worrying about this:confused:

Iv'e posted this before if you want a safe and sure fire destruction of Aps.

I had an 80g that had some Apstasia that started to take over. Not an issue because I was bringing the tank down to install hardwood floor and replace with a 150g. I tried various options to kill the little buggers with not much success. I know everyone deals with these guys and they are quit normal just not wanted. Anyway, my wife found one the other day. I found a post from 2004 and I am copying it here for opinion. I did it, it worked but I am curious as to everyones opinion.

2004 Post:
OK, here is my sure fire way, 100% success rate, never to return again method.

Use a saturated solution of Sodium Hydroxide (Drain Away, Draino, whatever you like to call it) and water. Using a syringe, squirt about 0.5 mL into the mouth of each aiptasia. This will kill even the stubborn foot tissue.

I initially used kalk paste like pies, by found that the success rate wasn't that great. Sodium Hydroxide is much more soluble than Calcium Hydroxide, and is more alkaline, completely nuking the aiptasia.

Again don't dose too much at one time. It is not harmful to your reef, unless you directly squirt it onto corals. Just a warning that Sodium Hydroxide will cause sever chemical burns if handled, you can tell if you have it on your hands 'cause they will feel "soapy" and slippery. If you feel your hands becoming slippery, wash with a LOT of cold water. Preferably wear gloves when handling.

As dangerous as the chemical sounds, it is really quite safe for your reef.

Draino is surprisingly pure sodium hydroxide, and is really no more dangerous to your tank than calcium hydroxide (kalk). Any tank with a reasonable alkalinity (greater than 2.6) should have no problems adding it. The hydroxide ion reacts relativly quickly with dissolved carbon dioxide producing, there are also other mechanisms for the neutralisation of the free hydroxide. Which reaction is most significant is determined by the pH.

2(OH)- + 2CO2 ---> H20 + 2(CO3)2-

The only difference between this and the kalk method is the spectator ion (Ca2+ as opposed to Na+).
Kalk will do the same thing to your hand as sodium hydroxide, at a much much slower rate.

If anything this method is easier on the fish, I had problems with fish eating, or trying to eat the white kalk paste. I for one wouldn't like a mouth full of kalk. The sodium hydroxide method is much safer in that it is completely soluble, such that any solution which doesn't make it into the aiptasia, is quikly netralised by surrounding water by the above reaction, and no solid remains to be eaten by fish.

I tried Aiptasia X, Joe's Juice, kalk paste, boiling water, berghia's and peppermint shrimp - none helped whatsoever in my 450G display. Ended up getting 2 Klien Butterfly's and within a month all the aiptasia's were gone. I would definitely go with the Klien's if I had any issues again.

Back