Aptasia removal help

skidoctor

Hey guys- I have a couple of pests I'd like to kill. They are close to other corals and I'm afraid they are causing a lack of polyp extension. I have a new bottle of Aptasia-X and have never done this before. I read the drections and they seem pretty straight forward. Just wondering if there are any secrets or anything I should know going into this. I can also mix up some kalk paste ifthat would work better, but that would lead to so many more questions. Anyhelp is greatly appreciated.

I also have a couple of pep shrimps in my sump. Will a coral banded shrimp hunt them down if I put them in the DT? He does have quite an attitude problem which makes me hesitant.

I've had the best success killing aiptasia by turning the pumps off, applying kalk paste (aiptasia x is OK, but I'd need about 10 bottles a year) and then leaving the pumps off for 10 mins while the paste sets.

Shrimp haven't gotten past my hawk, so I can't comment on the coral banded and peps.

*if a CBS can catch a smaller shrimp it will kill it

*large "shotgun" feedings of fish food can fuel an explosion of Aiptasia

*kalk paste, Joe's Juice, Aiptasia X all are similar IMO/IME. Nuke anemones with powerheads off. Repeat procedure as necessary.

JMO but if you have a rock with an ape on it simply remove the rock and thoroughly torch the anemone(s) if easy to do. Don't play games.

JMO but if you have a rock with an ape on it simply remove the rock and thoroughly torch the anemone(s) if easy to do. Don't play games.

Yes, use the cleansing fire! :angryfire: Sometimes a full-on blowtorch is too much. A butane cigar lighter or soldering torch offers a little more finesse. I prefer the soldering torch since it stays on, the butane you have to hold the trigger usually. A soldering iron with sacrificial tip isn't bad either. I've only once had one come back from the cleansing with the fire. And it was in a hard-to-reach area so I probably didn't get a full burn. It didn't survive the 2nd time. Once I foud one on a piece of rubble in my sump so I had some fun with it... Took it out and used the acetylene torch. That was satisfying :lol:. The rock got all poppy and melty though so maybe it was too much

Edit: if the aip I'm trying to kill is way down on the rock stack, I'll do it with a LARGE (80%+) water change and just burn the little bastage when the water level is low enough just before I start adding back in.

I only have a couple, but 'd like to kill the problem before it starts. One is in the middle of some zoas, so I guess the suggestion is to be careful. the others are on an uninhabitated rock, so I think I'm going to burn them just for the fun of it. Thanks for the help.

I think I had good aim with the syringe needle. I went slow, it wrapped its tenacles around the syringe, done. It was kinda of fun. Not a habit I'd like to get into, but killing pest is very gratifying. The zoas should be happy.

$10 says it comes back within a week :). When it does, hit it again asap while it's weak. Multiple uses are often required

I used a bic lighter on some of the aiptasia that I had. It was a great smell after the little nems burned. One rock was covered to densely and I just removed it and had it sit on the back deck for a few days. I lost a lot of corralline and whatever else was on the rock but to date I.have not seen another aiptasia.

if you use peps, make sure you get them out once the aiptasia are gone. i had some go after corals and well... it didn't end well for the coral OR the shrimp

I bought Peppermints specifically because the LFS said they would not only eat the aiptasia but also the button polps. Not. Never. Ever. I did, however, read a nifty method of training the shrimp to eat puree of fish flakes. After they were into it, injecting the aiptasia with the puree of fish flake mush and they they go at the aiptasia. Never tried it but it sounded cool. Even a video on youtube I think.

why not take the copper banded bfly approach. Even if you lose a couple in the process, it's cheaper and more natural in the long run. It took me 2 casualties to get a winner. Since then? /zero aptasia!!! I love mine. can you tell? I even moved it from one tank to another to clean it up. Moved it back to the main display after he was done with the 90.

Depending on how many you have I use the super glue method works great if you don't have a lot, and it makes killing them on any frags safer too.

I used a filefish and 2 peppermints. They destroyed my huge aptasia outbreak in a 120g, this was after trying Aptasia-x. When I'm sure the problem is under control, I'll be returning the "certified" filefish (George?) to Saltydog so he can get another job.

Back