Aqua Illumination and Profilux Controller – Tutorial/Review

Cerreta,
Just to clarify, you say AI will come out with a new lens that will allow better spread than an MH?
because from the data that I see them posted on their website now, the spread is unacceptable, though the depth penetration I presume is good.

Ah, fair question. I read that statement yoiu are referring to and it does need clarification.

The new AI module has intensity claimed to compare of that of a 400 watt MH system. However, the spread spectrum of the new AI module is also claimed to be much greater than the older AI module version.

LED is still far off from matching the spread spectrum of a MH system.

Mmckibben, I do not know the lens angle. The specs on the AI website does claim 40 degree angle. I'm not an expert in this area. However, I can tell you that light design is very complicated. You can't just assume that a 120 degree angle Cree LED with no lens will outperform the unit you will build. Because, if you truly get a larger spread with no lens, then you will loose higher intensity levels directly under the LED.

The only way to know how your LED system performs compared to that of the AI module is to perform direct comparisons with LUX and or PAR recordings.

When you buy a low cost system like Maxspect or build your own, you pay less, but it is untested, unproven technology. The hobbiest thinks they get such a great deal, because they built it (or bought a cheap Maxpect system) but you never test the performance.

When you buy an AI system. You pay more but you get the proven technology that has been tested with 20 lenses, different LED configurations, specific spacing patterns, etc. You get an item out of box that will perform as expected. You can not expect your system of the Maxspect to have the same level of performance. And, you still can't controll it because it is not compatiable with other controllers.

Hey, i am the consumate tweeker and I invest tons of money in equipment to test and play. This is the part of the hobby I enjoy the most. So, if you choose to build your own, and want it tested, send it to me. I own the PAR and LUX meters and the AI light. I would be happy and very curious to measure and report the performance of your DIY and the Maxspect system.

Another noteworthy point. The AI uses more white than blue LEDs for a reason. I called Chris and discussed it with him over a year ago. In order to get maximum light intensisty, white LEDs are used. Blue LEDs give color, but lack the intensity. AIs primary focus was to offer an LED system that matched the output performance of a 250watt MH system. That is what they built.

Here is what you get. To get the max output, you must run White at 100% and blue at 100%. But the color of the tank is very yellow. About that of a 10K MH system. I hate that color. I like the 20k look so corals glow. In order to get that color, I run white at 30% and blue at 100%. The trade off is light intensity. Now, the system output is much less, about that of a 150watt MH system. There are ways to overcome this, by moving module closer to the water. This is great because no heat transfer. With MH you cna't do it as easily. (Look at the earlier parts of this thread to see the PAR and LUX comparisons)

Again, it is easy to question why you need a lens on a 120 degree cree LED. Especialy if the lens narrows the spread to 40 degrees, but the answer lies in the performance testing. You buy an AI module and trust them to give you the best performance. If you just slap LEDs in a board, it will look great in the tank, no question, but corals are not likely to grow, and you really do not know the performance characteristics of the system you built.

Kibben, if you wnat to learn and know more, I highly encourage that you call Chris at AI and ask him about the performance and testing of the modules. I think you will learn as I have that he is a real geek. And I trust that what he has labored to build is worth the price!

This is why I like the products produced by Tunze, Profilux, AI, and a few other companies. They spend a ton of money in research and development, unlike the competitors that offer products for less, but don't really care how or why they perform the way that they do. They are also less willing to correct performance errors pointed out by their customers.

Saving $150 on a DIY system is not worth the loss of $1000 in corals in my opinion.

That is a great thread. I have a few questions.
1.) What are the limitations of connecting the AI fixtures through the serial port?
2.) What are the maximum number of fixtures you can connect?
3.) Are there any plans to be able to connect this or any other LED to any port besides the serial port?

That is a great thread. I have a few questions.
1.) What are the limitations of connecting the AI fixtures through the serial port?
None. Full operation. The only limitation that I am aware of is that you tie up that port, so you cannot use the standard computer cable to use Profilux software on a computer. You resolve this by installing a USB port. Same goes if yoiu use a Profilux View. Yoiu can not use the serial port for this add-on, so you have to iunstall an additional serial port. I actually have the USB and now need to buy an additional serial to use the VIew which I bought last year, but never got around to getting the expansion module.

2.) What are the maximum number of fixtures you can connect?
The connection is made by AI. Not sure how many you can connect, but the AIs will be daisy chained. No interfacing with Profilux beyond the one serial cable. The Profilux will allow you to independently control each of those daisy-chain modules. You would have to refer to the Profilux manual for specifics on operation.

3.) Are there any plans to be able to connect this or any other LED to any port besides the serial port?
Good question. No plans that I know of. AI produces the cable, not Profilux. So, you would have to direct this question to them.

On another note, AI just announced the module upgrade kit for early-adapter folks like me that own the Gen one system. I hope to get one soon and I will try to do some more measurements regarding the differences in spread spectrum at the angles. Which is where all LED systems suffer.

First let me say thanks for thevideo rundown of the products, I was already leaning this direction but know am convinced. My only concern is the connection of multiple AI sol light fixtures. I figure i will need anywhere from 5 - 7 fixturesfor my 180g tank. I was unable to find any info on daisy chaining them together, nor was I able tofind the cable connection you used. Always the case when the company does not have a Canadian distributor. Any additional info would be great. Thanks.

EDIT: Found the cable on reefgeek, and apparently they ship to canada.

Last edited:
First let me say thanks for thevideo rundown of the products, I was already leaning this direction but know am convinced. My only concern is the connection of multiple AI sol light fixtures. I figure i will need anywhere from 5 - 7 fixturesfor my 180g tank. I was unable to find any info on daisy chaining them together, nor was I able tofind the cable connection you used. Always the case when the company does not have a Canadian distributor. Any additional info would be great. Thanks.

EDIT: Found the cable on reefgeek, and apparently they ship to canada.

Pretty old thread, and it seems that you already found the cable, but ProgressiveReef.com is in Canada and has the cable listed:

http://progressivereef.com/proddetail.php?prod=profiluxAI

Progressive Reef is great to work with. You will like them.

Yes, you just run daisy chains. You will only need one controller and if you use something like the Profilux, you will get independant control of each SOL unit. The Profilux will label each SOL from 1 - 8. Then you can independantly assign parameters for each SOL.

It is really awesome and you will like it.
Cheers,
Scott

Progressive Reef is great to work with. You will like them.

Yes, you just run daisy chains. You will only need one controller and if you use something like the Profilux, you will get independant control of each SOL unit. The Profilux will label each SOL from 1 - 8. Then you can independantly assign parameters for each SOL.

It is really awesome and you will like it.
Cheers,
Scott

Scott, I am running 7 AI on a Profilux 3EX. With only one AI control cable, how does the Profilux even know how many there are? My Profilux sure does not (Pr 5.07). I have 3 independent channels (Illumination 1, 2, 3) for W, B, RB, but no modules are separate. Is there a trick to doing so? I heard that there is a module id with AI but that it is not activated yet by either AI or Profilux.

Last edited:
Hah old threads can always come back from the grave. Thanks Scott I will check out progressive reef as well. I am interested in the answer that "could" follow about individual control of the Ai sol fixtures.

Hah old threads can always come back from the grave. Thanks Scott I will check out progressive reef as well. I am interested in the answer that "could" follow about individual control of the Ai sol fixtures.

Well if you were using the L1/L2 (etc) ports, I can see how this might be done. However AI connects to the Profilux through a proprietary serial port so there would be no individual addressability of modules with what I know of the current Profilux firmware. Colors are controlled with Illumination 1, 2, 3 (assuming firmware 5.07 and above) but as far as I know there are no module addresses possible.

I am pretty sure it can be done. Maybe you have to bypass the daisy chain, but not certain. If you pose this question in the Profilux forum you will get a quick response from Ottowa.

I think you have to do some configuration in the PIII menu to tell it the other modules are there. Again, check in Profilix forum.

I am pretty sure it can be done. Maybe you have to bypass the daisy chain, but not certain.

You cannot bypass the Daisy Chain since there is only one standard serial port on the Profilux (unless you upgrade and add one). Even then that would limit the number of AI modules to two.

If you pose this question in the Profilux forum you will get a quick response from Ottowa.

I asked Michael: Someone on RC stated they thought the Profilux could individually address AI modules. While I think that AI does have module address, I don't think their controller can address that (yet) and also it would not seem unlikely that Profilux could address it either given the AI proprietary serial connection. If I am wrong, I would love to be corrected.

I think you have to do some configuration in the PIII menu to tell it the other modules are there.

On the PC control program, you have to tell it there is an AI module attached, but that just tells it the attachement is via the serial port rather than the normal L1/L2 L3/L4 connection

Again, check in Profilix forum.

I did indeed do so.

Back