Aquaculture license

bangai64

I have an appointment Friday for my facility inspection, for the aquaculture license. For any of you who already have it, or anyone else familiar with it, is there anything I need to know ahead of time? For ex: what they might be looking for, or what to avoid before inspection? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
They want to be sure you are environmentally friendly. Not dumping saltwater in freshwater. Not dumping saltwater in saltwater.
Down the drain.

What's wrong with pouring your water change water into your yard or down the driveway

Man I'm not looking foward to 2017 when we all have to have a license to own an aquarium or you will be fined come tax time.

I was told it needs to go through treatment. Aka down the drain to the treatment plant. Who knows what is right?

I don't know anything about this, but by reading what the guys have said I would advise that you put together a plan.

If they ask how do you get rid of the old salt water, you tell them:

A - I don't do water changes as of right now, just top off fresh, but I am planning on getting a large container where I can evaporate it when I do start making water changes.
B - You go to Home Depot or one of those garden supply places and grab a large brute container and have it ready for when they show up. This way, if they don't buy the no water changes story, you can always tell them that you use that thing in your backyard that you just got.

Regardless of which answer you use, I would take the opportunity to ask them for their recommendation or rule. If you get anything out of this experience, it should at least be knowledge to share with the team.

Good luck!

It's bad to spill the salt it's very bad luck you should throw some salt over your right shoulder.

This is my personal opinion, but I think a lot of you guys are opening a can of bobbit worms here by allowing the government access to your home and acquiring an aquaculture license. You are not in the aquaculture business and therefore should not be engaging in acquiring an aquaculture license.

If you are acquiring an aquaculture license to sell/trade a few frags here and there, then by law I can also see the government demanding you establish a business through the Florida Dept. of State, a sales tax collection account through the Dept. Of Revenue and a occupational license through your county of which you would be required to pay a tangible tax on all of your reefing equipment. This along with all of the other fees you would be required to pay initially and annually AND file and report all of your activity to the IRS.

I understand there are issues with the state of Florida as there is a grey area here with the issue of selling/trading frags at the hobby level, but I don't believe conforming to business regulations is the answer. You're not a business.

Edit: I think it's also worth mentioning RC/TBRC has a strict policy against non sponsor retailers selling on the board. So once you go that route and someone complains, you have now lost that ability and will have to look at other means.

Last edited:
Effluents must be
treated and retained on site, or discharged to a permitted sanitary sewer system.
Its pretty plain in the documentation. You do not have to evaporate unless maybe you register as a recirculating system.

Unless it's included in the aquaculture license you will need a SPL (saltwater products license) as well I assume.

Back