aquamaxx ConeS CO 1 skimmer review

My issue with this skimmer is if the water is not higher than where the water exits the stand pipe it is very load and sprays all over. It cause more evaporation too.. They seemed to fix this in the Aqauamaxx Q...

I could try to add a baffle. Thanks for the advice.

may be as easy as getting a piece of acrylic and just extending the existing baffle and inch or so. I did that with one of my acrylic sumps. I just cranked up the power heads in the DT, shut down the return pump, drained a little water from the sump below the level i needed to glue, then cleaned the surfaces well with razor blade & paper towels, then used DAPP 688 silicone. I think I fired up the return pump around 3 to 4 hours later.

I got a 16 x 16" sheet of 1/8 inch clear acrylic from a local hobby store and just scored it and snapped it at the cuts. Had to do a little fine sanding for the final fit but it worked fine.

Does everyone turn off the skimmer when doing water changes after the return pump is shut off? I just finished this in one sitting and i can't remember if this was covered. When the pump is off and the sump fills with water from my overflow drainage, the water rises and enters the silence chamber even though there is an o-ring. I have also noticed mine is pretty touchy, I feed and it tends to overflow, I change filter bags an it tends to overflow, etc.... But it does does skim well when it is not over flowing.

I do experience the same as you, when I do my water change. It is just a tiny amount of water sitting in the silencer. I usually open the silencer up and siphon the water out.
Last time when I found the skimmer was not at its optimal performance, I disassembled it and found salt built up in the air line. That's why now I try to keep the silencer clean of salt water after each water change.

Does everyone turn off the skimmer when doing water changes after the return pump is shut off? I just finished this in one sitting and i can't remember if this was covered. When the pump is off and the sump fills with water from my overflow drainage, the water rises and enters the silence chamber even though there is an o-ring. I have also noticed mine is pretty touchy, I feed and it tends to overflow, I change filter bags an it tends to overflow, etc.... But it does does skim well when it is not over flowing.

Yes, I turn mine off when doing water changes. I also leave it off for a day or so after I add any supplements to make sure corals get as much absorption as possible. It never has a problem quickly returning back to normal skimming.

So I just opened mine for xmas...

One of the legs was broke...no big deal, glued it on.

Second, something seems wrong... It just seems really weak or not enough air getting into the chamber.

I checked for crimps and blocks etc... in the airline, nothing. I checked the pump and wheel...seems fine. no idea what the issue is....I have it in fresh water right now, surely that shouldn't matter...doesn't with my other skimmers.

So I just opened mine for xmas...

One of the legs was broke...no big deal, glued it on.

Second, something seems wrong... It just seems really weak or not enough air getting into the chamber.

I checked for crimps and blocks etc... in the airline, nothing. I checked the pump and wheel...seems fine. no idea what the issue is....I have it in fresh water right now, surely that shouldn't matter...doesn't with my other skimmers.

I opened mine as well and other than parts were scattered everywhere nothing seemed broken. I haven't turned it on yet to test it.

Interesting that you've never seen a difference between fresh and salt. The one time I tested a skimmer in fresh it made absolutely no foam at all.

I opened mine as well and other than parts were scattered everywhere nothing seemed broken. I haven't turned it on yet to test it.

Interesting that you've never seen a difference between fresh and salt. The one time I tested a skimmer in fresh it made absolutely no foam at all.

I will try it in salt, was doing its rinse off in fresh....it just doesn't seem turbulent in the lower chamber...not like in the videos.

Well I feel like an idiot.... Massive difference in salt water....well, learn something new everyday. My tunze does not have a massive difference like that.

:) well I am happy. will put it in the tank shortly.

Well I feel like an idiot.... Massive difference in salt water....well, learn something new everyday. My tunze does not have a massive difference like that.

:) well I am happy. will put it in the tank shortly.

:thumbsup:

Who did you buy your CO1 from?

I would ask for a replacement and just run the current CO1 until a replacement arrives. A broken leg on the stand would really P$$$$$ me off.

Last edited:
BTW

mine is still chugging along just fine. I was running sockless for a while again but the damn tiny snails were getting into the impeller again, so back to mesh socks. I just pull the air line and the cup during maintenance and let the air line pull water during my water changes. Seems to keep things nice and clear in the line for me. I'll break my skimmer down once every 2 or three months and do a fairly deep cleaning. While the CO1 isn't the most solidly manufactured skimmer I've owned, it IS the most reliable and consistent.

aquamaxx ConeS CO 1 skimmer review

Mine has been running like a champ for 3 yrs now. I rarely clean the pump since every time I do the shark pump sometimes requires loosening of the cover on the pump doesn't spin properly. Could've been fixed in newer versions.

Just an observation, but has any one noticed that the slanted neck inside the collection cup looks like the collection neck off an old D&D Marine Terminator II recirc skimmer ?
Not a bad thing, don't get me wrong. Mine worked amazingly well !
Its just funny how what was once thought to be old and antiquated is now coming back full circle Lol !

Mine has been running like a champ for 3 yrs now. I rarely clean the pump since every time I do the shark pump sometimes requires loosening of the cover on the pump doesn't spin properly. Could've been fixed in newer versions.

yours is one of the very first for sure. they may very well have tweaked a thing or two (tolerances/different bushings etc) on the batches after that. not sure though. Fortunately mine has never failed to start.

Marine Depot

marine depot has always been good to me on returns. I've had a few duds over the years. If you're inclined, you may want to contact customer service and let them know the piece broke during shipping. They should send you a return slip and you can just clean and pack the damaged skimmer when the new one arrives. Worth a shot.

tivo

Just an observation, but has any one noticed that the slanted neck inside the collection cup looks like the collection neck off an old D&D Marine Terminator II recirc skimmer ?
Not a bad thing, don't get me wrong. Mine worked amazingly well !
Its just funny how what was once thought to be old and antiquated is now coming back full circle Lol !

same premise as the TUNZE DOC extractor kit. I have a 9410 that kicks butt and it has the foam extractor kit. the 9410 is a great skimmer, too loud for me though.

Back