aquamaxx ConeS CO 1 skimmer review

Before I put the skimmer back online after the move I gave it a serious vinegar bath and cleaning. Now I can not keep it from overflowing even with the adjustment wide open...ugh.

Before I put the skimmer back online after the move I gave it a serious vinegar bath and cleaning. Now I can not keep it from overflowing even with the adjustment wide open...ugh.

Open up the stand pipe all the way and re-adjust.. Allot of times over time the venturi will clog with calcium overtime and produce less air making you have to close the stand pipe some.. By giving it a vinegar bath that probably unclogged and now is producing more air.

Maybe you put the pump together wrong.

If it is and it still overflows you may have something in your water that messed with the surface tension.

remove the cup for a few hours and just let it run. Vinegar baths will remove most if not all the slime coat and they will go berzerk for a while.

You may have some micros in the tank for a bit but it should settle down much quicker if the cup is off. Also, Like Shred 5 mentioned, double check the air line nipple on the venturi and look inside for blockage. MAy need to be reamed and cleaned out..

Checking in after 4 months with the CO-1. Mine took a couple weeks to really settle in (I had a lower bioload at that point), but has since been the most reliable small skimmer I've ever owned... and I've tried at least 10 different types over the years.

No microbubbles, no adjustments ever needed, great skimmate. For what it's worth, I'm running mine in water right up to the bottom of the silencer, and the water level is set about an inch below the neck connection.

I never turn mine off to clean the cup unless I'm doing a full body cleaning.

If you get overflow when you clean the cup (skimmer still running) then I would suggest removing the plug from the drain tube for a few minutes until it settles down, then plug it back up. adjusting the skimmer each time the cup is cleaned will affect the rebound of the skimmer and only frustrate you. Once I get a skimmer adjusted to skim the way I like, I never adjust it again. If it is acting weird it usually is always because it is in need of some sort of cleaning (not adjustment).

just my .02

happy reefing
+1 I never adjust my skimmer when I clean the cup

Been running my skimmer for a week now. So far so good. My skim looks just like post #913. Really quite too. I'm running it at 9.5" of water. I bought the JNS model. I have a 50 gal. cube with about a 15 gal. sump.

I am moving this skimmer from my 65g that is being shutdown in lieu of a 180g to a 30g tank. I am a little concerned that it will be too much for a little 30g.

40b

40b

Checking in after 4 months with the CO-1. Mine took a couple weeks to really settle in (I had a lower bioload at that point), but has since been the most reliable small skimmer I've ever owned... and I've tried at least 10 different types over the years.

No microbubbles, no adjustments ever needed, great skimmate. For what it's worth, I'm running mine in water right up to the bottom of the silencer, and the water level is set about an inch below the neck connection.

Good to hear, I bought mine for my 40 B build.

Would this be enough skimmer for my 85 with 20 sump? Trying to keep cost of skimmer under $300.

If load is low to medium I think it might be fine, I think 90 is about the edge of what it can handle. .. I look at the coneS CO-1 to be a perfect fit for 75. I am sure some run them on a larger tank..

The RLSS R6-I would be better for it if you could afford a little more or a larger aqaumaxx skimmer.

It really aint so much about the size of the tank as it is load. Problem is most people can not help themselves and either overload a tank or over feed.

I am moving this skimmer from my 65g that is being shutdown in lieu of a 180g to a 30g tank. I am a little concerned that it will be too much for a little 30g.

It depends on the load, it might work fine.. It might work on and off shutting down once it removes everything.. It may never get enough of a head to rise to the cup... Might just try it, I think it might work fine.

If load is low to medium I think it might be fine, I think 90 is about the edge of what it can handle. .. I look at the coneS CO-1 to be a perfect fit for 75. I am sure some run them on a larger tank..

The RLSS R6-I would be better for it if you could afford a little more or a larger aqaumaxx skimmer.

It really aint so much about the size of the tank as it is load. Problem is most people can not help themselves and either overload a tank or over feed.

Would this be overkill? It's rated for 240 gallons. I don't plan on a larger tank down the line, so I want a skimmer for this tank (85 gal/20 sump). I've pretty much narrowed it down between this and the Cones CO-1.
http://www.bigalspets.com/u-series-in-sump-protein-skimmer-u-2.html

Would this be overkill? It's rated for 240 gallons. I don't plan on a larger tank down the line, so I want a skimmer for this tank. I've pretty much narrowed it down between this and the Cones CO-1. I think it's the JNS version of the Aquamaxx ConeS Q2.
http://www.bigalspets.com/u-series-in-sump-protein-skimmer-u-2.html

It's been a while since I set up a new skimmer. Is it normal to have tons of micro bubbles if the tank and skimmer are new and is done with dry rock?

It's been a while since I set up a new skimmer. Is it normal to have tons of micro bubbles if the tank and skimmer are new and is done with dry rock?

Yes, but doesn't hurt to make sure you have all the screws tight, especially the long black screws. I didn't have mine tight enough and had to deal with the microbubbles for a few weeks unnecessarily. :facepalm:

Back