aquamaxx ConeS CO 1 skimmer review

So just under 2 weeks of running it and I am quite happy. Seems to skim a lot more more than my Tunze 9010... which I always thought somehing was wrong with it.

Anyhow, Not dialed in with it yet, still skimming wetter than I would like, but I really don't know :D

So I just opened mine for xmas...

One of the legs was broke...no big deal, glued it on.

Second, something seems wrong... It just seems really weak or not enough air getting into the chamber.

I checked for crimps and blocks etc... in the airline, nothing. I checked the pump and wheel...seems fine. no idea what the issue is....I have it in fresh water right now, surely that shouldn't matter...doesn't with my other skimmers.

Mine arrived from Marine Depot like that (purchased early Dec 2014, setup Christmas 2014). I contacted customer service and they replaced the part. I also had the wrong screws for the reaction chamber and they also sent replacements. I did get a slight tongue-in-cheek chewing out that I took about 2 weeks before opening the box and finding the defects.

So just under 2 weeks of running it and I am quite happy. Seems to skim a lot more more than my Tunze 9010... which I always thought somehing was wrong with it.

Anyhow, Not dialed in with it yet, still skimming wetter than I would like, but I really don't know :D
Just leave it set where it's at. It should darken up as it beds in.

ok. I will leave it, I did adjust it a few times, but will let it be. I just didn't want to wet skim too much.....get chemistry a touch out of balance.

Mine arrived from Marine Depot like that (purchased early Dec 2014, setup Christmas 2014). I contacted customer service and they replaced the part. I also had the wrong screws for the reaction chamber and they also sent replacements. I did get a slight tongue-in-cheek chewing out that I took about 2 weeks before opening the box and finding the defects.

Thanks for the info. They are sending me another bottom piece, no issue. Pleased.

Happens sometimes. It'll chill out after awhile. That's why I always empty the cup before a water change. Don't want all that hard work draining into your sump.

so my skimmer went bonkers after a water change.

Any tips?
Drae is on the money. happens once in a while. It's best to clean the skimmer cup and neck each water change and just leave the drain plug out for a bit in case things get crazy. That way it will just run out into the sump and you can put the plug back in after things settle down.

For about a year I didn't clean the impeller. I was getting NO skimmate. After cleaning it, back to normal, producing nice gunk. Yuck

Yep. the only two reasons mine would be reducing skimmate is the impeller or the air at the volute needing a cleaning. Keep those clean and there should be no reason this skimmer won't perform well.

JNS Cones CO 3

JNS Cones CO 3

Wow I can't believe I had never come across this thread. I bought the CO3 from Big Al's a few month back for about $360 shipped and since I had read only good things I jumped on it.

I just filled up my setup for a water test yesterday and I found no water on the floor today so that was good but I ran the skimmer and I don't see the white wall of bubbles as I expected coming out of the bubble plate. Is it because it freshwater or is there some possibility that the air intake is obstructed? Not sure but any tips or suggestions are apprecited.

I opened mine as well and other than parts were scattered everywhere nothing seemed broken. I haven't turned it on yet to test it.

Interesting that you've never seen a difference between fresh and salt. The one time I tested a skimmer in fresh it made absolutely no foam at all.

Funny I was going over the thread again and just read you having the same experience that I'm having. I was confused as to why I was let getting more bubbles in the freshwater. Lol

How would one of these work on a 93 cube with medium bioload, sps dominate. Currently considering one of these or the nyos120.

it will work fine with a medium load but as your system grows out, it won't keep up IMO.
May want to look at the coneS CO2.

Took my pump out to clean over the weekend and my impeller looks like this. Is this normal and would this affect performance?
b0e6348a95de13e9ef45f4b8f29e8099.jpg

looks like a poor glue application. is it hard or slime like?

Your impeller is different than mine. You have a later model than mine.

does your pump vibrate and create noise?

If it's a hard substance like glue then you could always use a dremel (if you have one) and cut off the excess slag. dremels are very easy to work with. Personally i would get a back up impeller just in case ;-)

The impellers are not cheap though. I think between marine depot and other vendors they can range from $40 to $80. rediculous really!

marine depot is the cheapest if they have them in stock.

Tivo

aquamaxx ConeS CO 1 skimmer review

I took apart the pump to do a thorough cleaning and found this. Do you think this will negatively affect performance? The pump still runs super quiet with no vibrations but it simply doesn't skim like it used and I thought a thorough cleaning would resolve that problem. Do you think a new impeller would help this problem? Please help

I took apart the pump to do a thorough cleaning and found this. Do you think this will negatively affect performance? The pump still runs super quiet with no vibrations but it simply doesn't skim like it used and I thought a thorough cleaning would resolve that problem. Do you think a new impeller would help this problem? Please help

Did you just clean the pump or did you do a deep cleaning of the entire skimmer including the pump? Either way, if it appears to be pulling a similar volume of air then just let it sit and bed back in. deep cleanings of a pump will require a bit of a slime coat to build back up on the components and a bit of re-breakin will occur. If you cleaned the entire skimmer body as well then expect a bit longer re-break. Maybe a week, give or take, depending on bioload.

Back