Aquarium Cleanup Crew - 120 Gallon Tank

jonnteena

Does anyone have any suggestions on a recommended cleanup crew size for a 120 gallong aquarium that I just started about a month ago. I've got algae that is starting to take over. I went out last week, and bought 4 astraea snails, 3 emerald crabs, 3 peppermint shrimp, and 1 lime green star fish. Wasn't sure how many more I would eventually need. I wouldn't mind having more, but I don't want to overdo it. Taking suggestions. . .

Well - I'm not an experienced reefer, but for my 150 gallon with a 65 gallon sump/fuge, I have 4 mexican Turbos, ~12 Trochus, ~12 cerith, ~12 Margaritas, ~12 "super nassarius" and 4 fighting conch and I'm planning to add to this. I'm searching for the same answers you're searching for (how I found your question actually).

My tank is 10 weeks old now and I'm struggling to keep up with the algae too, it's not out of control, but it's more than I'd like to see. Since my nitrates originally dropped from cycling, I've had no measurable nitrates or phosphates and I measure twice a week, yet I've still needed this many snails to just stay even with the algae. I keep reading it will get better after 4-5 months.

Hope this helps.

Back