Aquarium manufacturers and tank length

Gundy

I have researched and contacted several aquarium manufacturers including Glass Cages, Custom Aquariums and Crystal Dynamic Aquariums ( CDA).Each company recommends different glass thicknesses, cross bracing and metal trimming along the top and bottom. Do you have any comments or opinions about any of these companies and the quality of their workmanship? CDA offers a five year waranty, Custom Aquariums a lifetime warranty and can't remember what Glass cages offers.

Only Crystal Dynamic does Euro bracing without the cross bracing and recommends 1/2 inch glass front and back with 3/4 inch sides For a 96 x 30 x 26 inch tall aquarium. Have you found these cross braces get in the way when doing maintance and are they noticeable when the aquarium has an open top with no enclosed hood?

Also, I am trying to decide on a 6, 7 or 8 foot reef tank. It will be a mixed reef with quite a few fish, invertebrates and corals. I have the room for an 8 footer but that just means it will cost more to purchase, buying livestock and maintenance. I want to provide enough room for my favorite fish like a Naso tang, powder blue and other tangs to be happy together. Your thought please Thanks

For tangs the longer the better.
Height is generally the determining factor for thickness, or so I've read.
Cross bracing can be a pain but plenty of tanks out there with them.
If not kept clean they can diminish lighting.

For those who have reef tanks 5-6 feet long, if cost or space wasn’t an issue, would you go longer, say to a 7-8 footer? For those who have 7-8 footers, is it more work than smaller tanks and are you happy with your large tank?

Only Crystal Dynamic does Euro bracing without the cross bracing and recommends 1/2 inch glass front and back with 3/4 inch sides

Also, I am trying to decide on a 6, 7 or 8 foot reef tank. It will be a mixed reef with quite a few fish, invertebrates and corals. I have the room for an 8 footer but "¦

I stopped buying glass tanks over 40 years ago, but I don't think that the sides should be thicker than the front and rear panels.

If you have room for the 8', I'd get it! Saves a lot of money to do it now.

Back