Aragonite turning green.

FraggledRock

So my aragonite is turning green.

Its the same lime green look that my liverock is turning into.

Its not hair algae or anything i can blow off.

Is this green coralline?

Is it a clue that lights are too bright maybe?

Thanks?

meidinad

Looks like it could be coraline but that usually doesn't spread that fast nor have I ever seen it settle on substrate. Do you have a CUC that stirs up the sand?

FraggledRock

Looks like it could be coraline but that usually doesn't spread that fast nor have I ever seen it settle on substrate. Do you have a CUC that stirs up the sand?

2 nessarius snails. 6 hermits. 4 snails. 1 turbo.

Yea its growing super fast lol

syngraves

looks like algae. get some more sand sifters to turn over the sand more and keep it looking white and clean. my tank turn all sorts of shades of green during my cycle before i added a a decent sized CUC.

FraggledRock

looks like algae. get some more sand sifters to turn over the sand more and keep it looking white and clean. my tank turn all sorts of shades of green during my cycle before i added a a decent sized CUC.

What kind of algae is it?

Its the same thing all over my rocks.

Its not easily bastered off or scrubbed...

whosurcaddie

Its just green coraline. its encrusting on the larger pieces of aragonite. green is the first stage. If you don't want your sand covered just stir that area so those pieces drop to the bottom.

By the way very bright lights inhibit coraline it doesn't promote it.

FraggledRock

Its just green coraline. its encrusting on the larger pieces of aragonite. green is the first stage. If you don't want your sand covered just stir that area so those pieces drop to the bottom.

By the way very bright lights inhibit coraline it doesn't promote it.

I personally dont mind the corraline on the substrate, i just found it strange there, but it does make sense, its basically mini live rock lol

I just wasnt 100% sure if it was actually corralline or not.

Thanks!!

killinit123

I personally dont mind the corraline on the substrate, i just found it strange there, but it does make sense, its basically mini live rock lol

I just wasnt 100% sure if it was actually corralline or not.

Thanks!!

I have more course aggregate than you do in my tank and it went from that green color to purple coraline now my zoas and other coral just grow right off of it!! i personally like the look

FraggledRock

I have more course aggregate than you do in my tank and it went from that green color to purple coraline now my zoas and other coral just grow right off of it!! i personally like the look

CooL!

thanks for the input!

How soon after the green did the purple happen?

Pife

If it's the same as what's on your rocks in the picture IMHO it's not coralline. It looks like some nuisance algae.

FraggledRock

If it's the same as what's on your rocks in the picture IMHO it's not coralline. It looks like some nuisance algae.

what kind?

its not turf or green hair algae. I no longer have cyano as i went through that a few weeks ago, i did massive water changes and upped my phosphate media.

all my rocks are either a bright toxic green or the darker green. its not slimy or gooey. and it doesn't come off easy...

lllesley

I actually had green cyno on my sand bed for a time, it started green then turned red and has now disapeared altogether. Maybe is cyno and not corline ?

jason2459

Premium Member
Cyano would blow off and feel slimy.

I would add more snails. Particularly nassarius. They are great at turning over the sand bed.

FraggledRock

Cyano would blow off and feel slimy.

I would add more snails. Particularly nassarius. They are great at turning over the sand bed.

yea ill probably add more cuc.

i still have all my original CUC other than the recent Peper that died.

i have 2 nessarius, 6 hermits, 4 ceriths and 1 turbo.