Are all super glues created equal?

apw63

What's the difference in super glue gels sold specifically for glueing coral to rock or plugs vs regular off the shelf super glue gels?

Are they made with special reef safe mixes?
Price?
Packaging?

Thanks for any help.

Andy

Go to bulk reef supply. They have an extra thick gel that works great. The bottle has a pin to keep opening free of glue. Cheaper than buying those small super glue from Home Depot. I have used it for about a year now and had no problems. My zoas glue down with no problem as well as sps

Find a loval hobby shop. I get large bottles of superglue for 9.99. I believe they are 4 oz bottles. Keep refrigerated after opening and will keep for close to a year at least without hardening.

I always thought that Cyanoacrylate is Cyanoacrylate when it comes to super glue.
But when I mentioned that in another thread some people responded that some use qiuck cure agents, and that made it different.
I knew that quick cure agents could be bought separate, but didn't think they were added to the Cyanoacrylate

There is no difference...though I think there is medical grade "superglue", but I am not sure If it is cyanoacrylate. I get mine at a dollar tree store, 3 little tubes for $1, it beats most any bulk price and they don't dry up.

Thank you all for the info, if anyone has more info I would appreciate it. Sounds like super glue is super glue.

Andy

I was told on another forum that the wrong super glue would kill your fish... Never found out why but it seemed to be an accepted answer. That being said. If you want a lot of ca for super cheap check out hobbyking.com

I bought mine in a bulk 10 pack from Harbor Freight, threw away 8 out of the 10 tubes cause they dried right up. Never buying the cheap stuff again

I've used Loctite, Selley's and other brands of super glue gel sold in any hardware store for years - not once have i ever seen an adverse reaction so i'm very confident that the chemical makeup is the same as glues sold exclusively for coral work. I do prefer Loctite brand as it is thicker and sets faster than others i have used.

+1 Loctite Gel in the small tubes is all you need. Any hardware or big box store for a buck a tube. Don't waste money buying reef glues $$$ However, epoxy now that's another story. Best to stay w/ the reef safe brands from the LFS or online LFS. Not all epoxy products are the same. All of them will stress your skimmer which tells you they are not really GOOD for the system but reef safe brands are tolerated.

Merry Skerry

I always thought that Cyanoacrylate is Cyanoacrylate when it comes to super glue.
But when I mentioned that in another thread some people responded that some use qiuck cure agents, and that made it different.
I knew that quick cure agents could be bought separate, but didn't think they were added to the Cyanoacrylate

You know what the quick cure agent is??? Bicarbonate. The same thing as the alkalinity in your tank water.

Great info all, thank you. This is the experience and knowledge I hoped this thread would bring out. Wife works at a local hardware store. I'll have her pick up some Loctite gel Monday.

Keep all the great info coming.

Andy

Baking soda is a useful accelerant as well. Can be diluted in do for spray or applied directly to ca. Never do t that to a coral though not sure ifit would burn it

Baking soda is a useful accelerant as well. Can be diluted in do for spray or applied directly to ca. Never do t that to a coral though not sure ifit would burn it

If you want to use bicarb as an accelerator but don't want to make up a solution and spray onto your corals then you are in great luck. A little bit of tank water will have more than enough bicarbonate to do what you need with the super glue and being tank water won't hurt your coral one bit.

Back