Are angels smart enough to pick out the Mimic?

boilermaker1

In regards to the "keep one dwarf angel" rule, what happens if you throw something like a lemonpeel or eblii mimic tang in with another dwarf angel. Would war ensue until the tang takes on its adult Chocolate colors? Or would it be possible that they put 2 and 2 together based on behavior differences, slight appearance etc...
I don't have a Lemonpeel or an Eblii, I have a CB, but I'm just curious what would happen.

That's a great question! I have lots of opinions about it, but maybe someone with experience could post :D

(bump)

One note - plain yellow dwarf angels ( Herald's angels) are supposed to be some what tolerant of their own speicies - I haven't tried it, still looking for an obvious female for my male.. I had a bicolor for a couple of days before it died and there were no problems. In my tank i've found the Herald's angel to be the most tolerant of other angels (compared to CB, flame & cherub). I don't think the lemonpeels are supposed to be as sweet natured though

I had a yellow tang (Zebrosoma) for ~ a month and he and the Herald's angel used to graze together. They seemed to think yellow fish should hang together. Trying to remember --- I think it was the tang who followed the angel. Herald's are not a "following" type of fish IME

I've had ever one of the mimic tangs at one time and placed them in tanks with the angel they mimic. The angels know and don't give 'em any notice. Tangs know the mimics are tangs and do notice them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7563904#post7563904 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by just dave
Tangs know the mimics are tangs and do notice them.

I second that! I once made the mistake of putting a little lemonpeel mimic in with a large aggressive powder brown, kind of hoping the powder brown wouldn't take notice....

Long story short, the powder brown had to be moved to another tank to save the mimic's life.

Well thats good to know...
they seem like pretty cool fish and they're not the normal yellow or blue that I see in everyone's tank. Thought I'd try something different...

Mimics are cool and will probably be fine in with most tangs or angels. Probably not a good fit if you are talking about the 29G tank in your sig, but could be a fish for a 75+ G tank.

Re: Are angels smart enough to pick out the Mimic?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7560465#post7560465 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boilermaker1
In regards to the "keep one dwarf angel" rule
I know this isn't what you were asking, but I don't know how hard and fast this 'rule' is - I have a flame and a CB, along with a flagfin, in my 65g and they're just fine together.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7567098#post7567098 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jda
Mimics are cool and will probably be fine in with most tangs or angels. Probably not a good fit if you are talking about the 29G tank in your sig, but could be a fish for a 75+ G tank.

See the part at the end of the sig about the 90G... it goes up July 13.

Back