Are Pinktail Triggers aggressive towards other triggers?

pmrogers

Premium Member
Are pinktail triggers territorial with other triggers? We currently have a 6-year-old pinktail that is about 10" long, and would like to add a pair of crosshatch triggers, IF this won't be a recipe for warfare.

The pinktail has always ignored all of the other fish in the tank, and the tank is 120" x 48" x 32".

Thoughts on whether attempting this addition would be a good or bad idea?

Thanks,

Pinktails are usually relatively peaceful, especially if well fed.

It seems I rarely get to say this, but in that size tank, you should be fine. I'd love to see a pair of crosshatches in a tank like that.

Pinktail triggers can be quite aggressive

Pinktail triggers can be quite aggressive

For anyone following along, 2 observations:
1. Pinktail triggers can indeed be quite aggressive when inspired
2. Mirrors really do work for distracting aggressive fish

I introduced the crosshatch pair on Friday and left all lights off for 24 hours. Even in the dark, the pinktail went bonkers harassing the crosshatches, eventually getting so worked up that he started also chasing many of the other long-time residents of the tank.

After doing a bit of my own stressing out thinking the crosshatches wouldn't last the weekend, I remembered reading a tip here that a mirror could be used to distract established fish when introducing new residents. I propped up a 16x20 mirror against the front wall of the tank, and sure enough, as soon as the pinktail noticed, he had a new primary target. He had such a grand time threatening his twin that he almost couldn't be bothered to eat for the rest of the weekend-- he'd swim up briefly to grab one or two bites, then bolt straight back to the mirror to check up on the 'new guy'. The powder blue tang and one of the chromis also spent most of the weekend in front of the mirror posturing.

3 days later, the crosshatch introduction seems to have been successful. Or at least they are both eating well and no longer getting singled out for aggression.

Wow, that's atypical for a pinktail. Glad you got it worked out with the mirror.

Also glad I said "usually" in my other post. ;)

The mirror trick seems to work very well I saw a friend do it while adding his powder blue tang to his 250 gallon that had 4 other tangs who were twice his size

Back