Are there any uses for old saltwater

I recycle mine for doing WC's in the QT. The way I see it, my 'old' display tank water is just fine for the QT or the frag tank.

Makes for a great grass and weed killer.

Just don't put it down the drain if you are on a septic system.............not good.

Steve

I recycle mine for doing WC's in the QT. The way I see it, my 'old' display tank water is just fine for the QT or the frag tank.
+1 ...exactly what I do weekly!
Just don't put it down the drain if you are on a septic system.............not good.
I've heard the warning, but...?
Since 1991...All waste water and skimmate go directly down the drain into my septic system...I would estimate at present, at least 30g of salt water a week...with 4-7 people living there...in 20 years, I had it pumped out once, maybe 10 yrs ago...

I dump it on the driveway in hopes that it kills the weeds. It never does and doesn't even help when it snows...

I figured after years of salt build up in the cracks that weeds wouldn't be able to grow there. But... they are weeds and they could grow on the moon it seems.

I typically use my old salt water for my qt tank... It very benefitial doing it that way than making another batch of saltwater for the qt tanks...

+1 ...exactly what I do weekly!

I've heard the warning, but...?
Since 1991...All waste water and skimmate go directly down the drain into my septic system...I would estimate at present, at least 30g of salt water a week...with 4-7 people living there...in 20 years, I had it pumped out once, maybe 10 yrs ago...

All septics aren't built equal :) And they don't all stand on equal ground ;)

I have a low pressure system (who on earth came up with this contraption!! Most people have never even heard of them) in North Carolina's piedmont. Rock, clay, and a bit more rock. It SUCKS!! My neighbors (regional) look at having our systems overhauled every 3/5 years.

Other people, down on the coast, have mostly sandy soil, and NEVER have septic issues.

My old house, about mid way between, never had any issues. I have always treated my septic system well, but here, it is a losing battle.

I utilize the more common ideas mentioned above - weed killer or flushing out a dirtier system like the rock curing tub or QT. For those who don't have success with the salt as a weed killer, I suspect it's just draining through the soil too quickly to build up a lethal level of salt. St Augustine is pretty salt tolerant - it's used all over the coast here in FL. Nothing grows where I run my hose out the door. Perhaps a mangrove...

I have heard hearsay about larger facilities using bleach (?) to neutralize nitrates and reusing the water, but I don't know anything about the method.

this time of the year I dump it in the driveway and melt the snow and ice. Not the best ice melter but its better than just tossing it down the drain

Makes for a great grass and weed killer.

Well, I can say that salt water doesn't work as a grass killer. I dive commercially for aquarium fish, which means that I often come back from a day's work with 40-50 gallons of leftover water in buckets. When I drain the boat and wash everything off, most of the salt water runs off the driveway and on to the grass. I've been doing this for many years, and it hasn't killed the grass - in fact the place where the grass is thickest and healthiest is right where the salt water drains off (because it gets watered so much I guess). Killing grass takes a lot more salt than any hobbyist could provide.

That said, I wouldn't put it on house plants - in the yard there's a lot of drainage and the rain will wash the salt out of the soil so it all get diluted. Potted plants are stuck in a small pot and probably wouldn't take it very well.

If I have animals in quarantine, then it gets reused there. I've been toying with the idea of reusing the old reef water on my fish only tanks for water changes. It has almost undetectable nutrient levels and should be fine in theory, I've just never taken the plunge. Most of my used water gets poured on the driveway or back patio. As long as your not flushing the salts away, it should kill everything at some point. People living in coastal areas may not see this due to increased precipitation in these areas(flushing of the soil), as well as more salt-tolerant plants/weeds.

I doubt anyone is going to do it, but definitely do not evaporate the water and use the salt for cooking. The water is likely full of toxins, ie, Palytoxin, Sarcophine, and many others. You could die!!! Also, read your bucket of salt, it says not for human consumption.

Bleaching old water has a similar effect as extreme ozone dosing. Most organic compounds will be torn apart into smaller, hopefully more polar compounds that, once again, hopefully will be removed by aggressive carbon scrubbing. Too many "hopefully"s in that statement for me to do it, but in theory, it should work. To be clear, I do not endorse this.

Quarantine, cleaning live rock, rinsing freshly drilled rock, cleaning anything with something alive on it, rinsing bleached filter bags... I wish I knew what to do with the rest of it.

Back