Are there any uses for old saltwater

Arion lusitanicus dies when trying to "walk/slide" (whatever snails do!) over it, they just dry up really fast. Shame I dont have any pictures of these beasts lined up dead!

I put mine in my septic as well. I've heard it will hurt, and I've heard it doesn't matter. I've also heard that saltwater is about the same salinity as urine. I will say that I have never had an issue. My biggest concern was killing grass in the drain-field but it grows better then ever in that area. I have no other place to put it accept to just dump it on the lawn which I think would be worse being on top of the grass then under.

When Rome defeated Carthage, which had a great salt trade in the ancient world, the Romans spread the salt into the fields, making them non-productive, to make sure Carthage could not rebuild and come back. Salt on the ground might be useful in your driveway, but it would damage nearby trees. It is just best allowed to evaporate and then dumped in the garbage.

I dump mine down a drain but it runs out to my front ditch, with having a septic tank I didn't feel like messing up the bacteria in there.

I agree with Sk8r. Salt water, especially in large amounts, can have negative effects on many ecosystems. I wonder if water treatment facilities are even capable of removing the salt? I wonder what large aquariums do with their spent saltwater? I would imagine places like say Seaworld would benefit from some type of salt recycling.

I've not dumped down my septic yet, I usually just toss it out in the yard. That is unless I have something in QT, curing rock etc. I have really sandy soil and no grass has died yet. I don't think bermuda grass can be killed. It's had enough dumped on it.

I've heard some pretty interesting methods but this tops them all! So it works for him?

You don't really need to do anything to jump start a tank if you're using any live rock, the die off from the rocks will do the trick, maybe add a little fish food. The idea behind urine is the urea will breakdown into ammonia which will aid the nitrogen cycle, but there are easier more hygienic ways to do this. On a side note, using "throw away" fish is just cruel.

Urine can have a similar specific gravity to salt water, but generally it should be much lower, and anything as high as our tanks is usually a sign of dehydration or kidney problems.

And thus ends today's episode of more than you ever wanted to know about pee ;)

We had an ice storm the other day and I was doing a water change. It melts ice out of a driveway pretty well...

Back