ASM G3 Skimmer

cyclejockey

I inherited a 300 gallon reef tank recently. The tank is well established but has had an almost non-existent bioload for at least a year now. Lots of little clean up crew members, small fish and some coral. Whoever did the initial set up spared no expense on it and it's been set up in a mall for about 6 years. I want to breathe new life into it. The skimmer is an ASM g3 with a Sedra 5000 pump. The impeller needed to be replaced and now I'm ready to set it back up. I can't find any detailed instructions for this unit but I know they were popular in the past. Can someone:
A) explain what the water level and other levels should look like when it's running,
B) explain how to make adjustments to achieve these levels,
C) tell me where the sponge goes and the silicone tube?

Feel free to chime in about good mods. I heard there were a few good ones but I can't find any parts lists or pictures. TIA.

If the G3 is like the Mini-G, the sponge goes on the output, the silicone tube connects to the Venturi on the intake side of the pump.

You adjust the water level by raising and lowering the output tube.

Thank you, sir. I looked for a venturi but didn't see one. I'll search again.
If the G3 is like the Mini-G, the sponge goes on the output, the silicone tube connects to the Venturi on the intake side of the pump.

You adjust the water level by raising and lowering the output tube.

I am indeed missing the venturi. I guess I will order one. So the tube connects to the port at the intake of the pump and the other end just stays above the water level?

Yes, exactly. The Venturi will fit onto the intake side of the pump and has a small nipple to connect the hose to. The other end just stays above the water.

I have an used G-1 coming, supposedly today according to FedEx. When I get it I'll take a picture of the Venturi.

Here is a couple pics of the Venturi, pump and airline.

a5a9040ed37cc71074fd8fe4b7df975a.jpg

1b66440b4465b68ec56ab6bd253452e6.jpg

bb7931258dd8c9fb9e7c44ece3046e5e.jpg

I had the ASM G3 and I added the following mods to it

Gate Valve
- use to fine tune overflow from the skimmer instead of adjusting the tube up & down

Mesh Mod for Pump
- remove pin wheel pins
- zap strap mesh
- mesh creates more bubbles to increse skimming

Recirculation Pump
- I remember this mod but never modded my skimmer with it
- I did not want to risk destroying the skimmer by not drilling the holes properly

I think I still have some of the mesh which I can mail to you if you're interested.

I hope the info helps!

I have and still use this skimmer. The pump went out with one issue to the next. I found a jebao with a needle wheel pump and hook that up and it runs perfect. Plus i can control the water flow and feed mode.

That Pinwheel does not look anything like the one in my Sedra 5000.
The mod could still work but how has it been handling clogging issues?
My Pinwheel seems to have a lot more space yet it still gets gunk trapped between the pins.

Following along, I've been running that exact skimmer for 10+ years. Pretty dead simple, I have the gate valve mod, which works really well to dial in the skimmate.

Anyone have a source for the mesh? I'd like to give a try after all these years! :)

Thanks.

Let me see if I still have the mesh.

I can mail to you via mail. Just need to collect on the actual postage costs if you're interested.

The mesh mod helped significantly increasing the bubbles for skimming.

I hope the photos help.
The photos were great. Thanks for all the help. I found the venturi and got it making bubbles. I am also missing the inner pipe for adjusting the water level but I'm just going to order the gate valve kit. Where do you feel you get optimal performance in terms of water level adjustment?

ASM G3 Skimmer

It's been over 12 years since I sold my 120 gallon setup with the ASM G3. I found this on the forums. Indicates optimum water level is 6-8 inches. Perhaps start it at 7" and go from there.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1624404

You can order a gate valve from Amazon. Tubing can be pickup at your local Home Depot or Lowes store.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back