ASM Leaking

rhunt

All,

My asm skimmer has started to leak where the collection cup and the body connect. I've tried cleaning it good..but still leaks.

Is this normal?

Has anybody else experienced this.

Thank you,

Normal for ASM unfortunately but it shouldn't affect performance IME. The build quality on these skimmers are pathetic IMO.

Yes but they do work...at least mine does...then again I don't have anything to compare it to.

Just bought a mini for my 29 gallon...having a sump built and am putting in an external overflow box . Its gotta be better than my bloody canister filter that always leaks air bubbles and the cpr skimmer that doesn't skim worth a darn.

Oring appears to be good. Should the level of water in the sump be only at a certain level? Does it matter?

So RichConley,

You recommend the Pacific Coast Skimmers? I had heard mixed reviews of them...how do you like yours?

Better than an ASM, but it has its own set of issues. I wouldnt reccomend buying one if you already have an ASM (I'd tweak/mod the ASM), but I'd most definitely reccomend them over ASM if you were buying new.

Do you have an o-ring in that location?
When I purchased my G3 used, it was missing the cone-body o-ring.

I purchased a 3pc kit for the G3 from my LFS. There should be 3 o-rings, (1 collection cup-cone; 1 cone-body; 1-return pipe)

I have an orange oring that sits on the body of the skimmer...where my cup sits on top. Is there another one that I am missing?

There should be 1 o-ring between the collection cup and the cone. There is a larger o-ring between the cone and the body, usually not visible because it's seated in the charcoal colored plastic fitting between the cone & lower body.

It sounds like you have the o-ring, but might need to replace it. I believe Custom Aquatics in Vista Calif is one internet dealer to purchase from.

reef_doug,

Thanks...yeah I think I have it...I'll check into replacing it...but wow...its only 6+months old...dag blam namit.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9258943#post9258943 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dhnguyen
Normal for ASM unfortunately but it shouldn't affect performance IME. The build quality on these skimmers are pathetic IMO.

You took the words out of my mouth.

Not happy with my ASM g4x. The build quality stinks. I can't get mine to skim consistantly without overflowing. Im buying an external GEO or H&S like I should have in the first place.

wow wonk you run a g4x on a 75G? Are you by any chance gravity feeding the skimmer?

My asm is junk too but after doing the gate valve and mesh mod I have no complaints. Also there was someone on here a while back that found or made some flat gaskets for their asm and it fixed the leaking problem. Does anyone remember reading this?

my tagline is off... I'm running the g4x on a 120 w/ total volume of about 270.

While I will stand by my comment that ASM build quality sucks, I will also qualify that I think it's my setup that is causing the ASM to not perform. I have it in my main sump and the water level drops about half an inch in a day which may be responsible for the issues I see--which is why I'm going to replace it with a legit exernal skimmer.

Back