ASM mini dilemma

Sebea

Hi,
After inquiring about a scorpion leaf fish, I realized that the only way I will get one is if I set up a large skimmer. I have no room in my sump, but I quickly found a solution. The ASM mini. I think doing the recirculation mod would be fairly easy, and I could sit the skimmer externally, next to the sump. Great, a huge skimmer on my 11" cube! :)

Here's the dilemma...ASM skimmer are known to leak at the seams. This could cause a huge problem, because it will be external. Now, I e-mailed ASMskimmer.com, and Rob told me that he didn't recommend the mini sitting next to the sump. Darn! :(

Ok, I thought to myself, "I could just put the skimmer in a bucket, or a rubbermaid!" The issue of water leaking onto my bureau is solved, but just how much does the skimmer leak? Water could be leaving the skimmer, and fresh water could be pumped from the ATO into the tank. This would be bad... :(

Is there a simple solution for this dilemma? Can I just silicon the leaking at the seams? But what if I need to clean the skimmate cup? Is it worth breaking the seal to clean it, and wait 24 hours for the silicon to dry?

Well, this is some hope for me...

Still, ASM recommends that they be used in the sump.

Any creative ideas?

I just received my mini in the mail and after looking at the construction, it is not the best, but for 99.00 dollars i still think it is worth it, I would just go down and buy yourself a 10 gallon tank, they are less than twenty buck's , now you have a sump for your mini, and that will give you a lot more water volume. one thing i know, I would never try and make the asm an external skimmer, i just put in brand new hard wood floors.

:beer:

Hmm...I see. Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that I had a custom sump made, and it is not designed to fit a skimmer in it. I have no place for a larger sump, because it is going to sit right behind the main tank.

Do you think that with some silicon, I might be able to prevent leaks?

with enough silicone ou can preven any leak, that said, i had a g2 that only leak a little bit around the body to neck cone piece and where the neck went onto the the cone piece, not a bad leak but you could see from the salt creep that there was a leak. if you reall want this skimmer then just get it and silicone it up, then when you need to clean it just use a type of bottle brush to scrub the neck and what you can reach and then use a turkey baster to wash the inside down, this is how i clean my skimmer instead o taing it all apart

Tim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6533390#post6533390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paulairduck
I just received my mini in the mail and after looking at the construction, it is not the best, but for 99.00 dollars i still think it is worth it, I would just go down and buy yourself a 10 gallon tank, they are less than twenty buck's , now you have a sump for your mini, and that will give you a lot more water volume. one thing i know, I would never try and make the asm an external skimmer, i just put in brand new hard wood floors.

:beer:

let us know what you think when you get it running....pics would be nice! :)

I just think having to re-silicone after each clean would become a PITA real quick. For my 2 1GXs, I have to clean out the cups at least once a week.

why not get a small rubbermade or similar container & sit the skimmer in that? The just drill a hole in the bucket & your present sump & connect with bulkheads & some PVC. Should be easy to do & it would elliminate the chance of the skimmer leaking outside the sump!

I am going to do this with my ER 12-2 which I am converting to a RC500 (pumps arrived today!!). Except I am haveing a friend make a 12x12x20 sump so my skimmer will sit in this box. IT will be next to my stand & plumbed via bulkheads & PVC pipe.

Back