Assist With HOB Overflow Concerns?

SillyDox

Hello all!

This week I finished cycling my 40 breeder tank and I have a female percula clown and a scarlet hermit crab as the only inhabitants at the moment. On payday I'm gonna get another clown (a male of course) from my LFS so she's not so lonely.

Anyways, the purpose of this post is because I've recently begun to eye some corals! I've looked into lighting and Powerheads, I'm gonna wait a few months at least but it got me thinking about a sump. The idea of drilling my tank is out of the question, as I already have fish friends in there. That, and the idea of drilling the glass is terrifying haha. I was doing some research and discovered the Lifereef HOB overflows... I've also been trying to find bad reviews, or evidence of them failing and haven't been able to, so that's a good sign. I guess I just don't understand the science behind it so that's why I'm feeling shaky, how do these work? How do I ensure it won't flood?

Also, if you're here to post a one line response that sounds like, "Just drill your tank man", please just don't haha. It won't help either of us!

I hope you are all well and making it through these hard times!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

They work by siphoning water from the tank.
They are engineered so they stop when the water level falls below the lip on the inside water box. The outside box has a chamber that holds enough water to keep the tubing end under water thereby keeping it full of water.
When the pump starts again water flowing into the inside box starts the siphon. THE only thing to get right is enough flow through the tub or tubes to pull any bubbles out of the tubing. Failure to do so results in a bubble @ the top of the tube & when it gets large enough it will break the siphon.

Thank you! That was a very informative explanation.

I ended. I ended up ordering the Lifereef overflow, excited to get it up on the tank!

You will not be sorry using any Lifereef product.
That's what I'm thinking!

I've been talking back and forth with Jeff over at Lifereef.com for a couple weeks now and I can tell by the way he speaks about the products and the hobby that he's knowledgeable and cares about what he's doing.

Cheers!

Back