Asterinid Article

dean1977

I am not too familiar with seastar genetics, but their ability to regenerate I'm assuming has a genetic component. Is it possible that Asterina has some type of unigue mutation to the regeration gene that has adapted to a hugely successful reproductive mechanism.
Also the HOX genes seemed to have mutations in early vertebrates and played a role in limb bub formation and the pectoral and pelvic girdle. I was wondering if seastars had any HOX genes or if that was only vertebrates.

Hi,

All animals have HOX genes (they were discovered in Drosophila :D); the initial surprise was that they were found in vertebrates.

I doubt asterinids have any unique gene. Many echinoderms reproduce by fission. I think it remains to be proven that the ones in tanks are truly Asterina as opposed to any of the other asterinids. As far as I know, no reputable taxonomist has looked them.

Thanks.
I appreciate the info. Most of my studies involved vertebrates and I never took any invert zoo classes. My interests are totally inverts now and want to buy some books. I have most of the books on reef type inverts, but I want something much more detailed and comprehensive.
What invert zoo text books do you recommend?

Hi,

This is, by far and away, the best text:

Ruppert, E. E, R. S. Fox, and R. D. Barnes. 2003. Invertebrate Zoology, A Functional Evolutionary Approach. 7th Ed. Brooks/Cole-Thomson Learning. Belmont, CA. xvii +963 pp.+ I1-I26pp.

Good luck! :D

Back