Attaching T5s to Lumenarcs

Ron Popeil

Love them clownfish.
I would like to add two 24" T5 bulbs to my exitsing lumenarc reflector.

anyone have any pictures of similar set ups? any suggestions?

THANKS!

I would not put the T5s that close to the halides, the heat will burn out the T5s. GlassReef did an interesting frame, though on a larger scale.

Regards,

Jim

well based on the design from the thread you posted, what i had planned was very similar. to mount the bulbs and their reflectors on the sides of the lumenarc. are those reflectors used in glassreefs tank larger than 24" across?

IIRC, they are 20", a setup similar to that would be fine for your T5s, when you say add them to the lumenarcs, I see them in the line of fire....... outboard of the halide and the reflector should not cook your T5s.

Jim

perfect. yes outside the reflector, as close as i can get them. thanks for the help!

now i just need more mounting ideas.

so, i went to home depot and did some experimental shopping. i had a rough design in my head, and went with it.

i started the frame based on the length of the T5 bulbs. using the sturdiest, yet lightest aluminum straps i could find, i attached them to the endcaps.

jordan002.jpg

then, using some right angled L shape lengths, i cut and mounted them to act as the saddle for the lumenarc reflector to sit in. these would also serve the joint responsibility for connecting the two T5s to the main structure. i used a long thin bolt, and multiple nuts to secure them to the aluminum.

jordan003.jpg

i wanted my reflector to be about level with the T5 reflectors and so had to come up with a design that would allow my lumenarc to sit lower than just on top of the aluminum straps.

jordan004.jpg

i used just a fine toothed pipe saw to cut the pieces to size and a metal file to smooth sharp edges. i also put drops of glue at the end of the screws after they were super tight for added security.

Last edited:
originally, my plan was to make a wooden structure around this lighting display, so the lumenarcs would remain loose on this saddle. but after building a wood canopy, i was very displeased and decided to use just the reflectors as is. this forced me to find the way to attach the lumenarcs to the main T5 structure. my biggest fear was that somehow i would destroy the reflector by drilling through it. fortunately this was not the case.

jordan013.jpg

jordan016.jpg

so i suspended them above my system and ended up being very pleased. ultimately, i would like to have something covering them up a bit, either a wooden box or metal something equally as clean looking, but for now this will serve my purposes. im excited that i now get a nice dawn/dusk effect as well as extra actinic that really has helped dramatically with colors.

jordan014.jpg

Last edited:
Back