Attack of the killer shrimp?

reefguy24

My tank is cycled now....used some water from my buddy's tank and combined that with live rock, live sand, some beneficial baceria in a bottle and some "plastic beads" I bought at local fish store that have more bacteria on it.

The nitrites and nitrates read 0.

Anyways I went out and bought a blue damsel fish with yellow belly and tail.

Today I got a blood red cleaner shrimp.

The damsel is eating well, but he's always hiding in the rocks. The shrimp is hiding in the same patch of rocks.

I noticed the shrimp make a pretty fast move and it chased the damsel out of his hiding spot into the open.

On the damsel's left hand side (right before the yellow on his tail turns blue) it appears as if someone or something ate a chunk of flesh (the size of his eyeball).

Or could this be a sign of stress? Or?

I can't confirm if this is discoloration and an optical illusion.....or did the shrimp take a bite out of the damsel? Or could the damsel have come this way from the fish store and being that he's been in hiding for the past ew days, this is the first time I'm noticing this?

This is a peaceful tank, and will have a few corals in the future.

I also got two emerald crabs....but I have been watching the tank since I put everyone it and the crabs are off to the side minding their own business.

<<edit>> upon closer inspection....I'm almost willing to bet this is an open wound. I don't see any "white" areas, nor do I see anything out of the ordinary. It just looks like someone tried to take a bite out of the damsel and succeeded, as it appears to have some flesh missing.

Also, there are no other fish in the tank besides the damsel. He was put there to help cycle.

In fact, I have had him now for 4 days and right now is the first time he's come out of his hiding hole. Other than that, he's swimming just fine, he seems to be darting back and forth looking for food (I feed him 1x every 2 days....a VERY small block of frozen shrimp cube cut into 1/4ths)

Thanks if you can help solve this mystery.

Now it appears as if the shrimp took over the damsel's territory and gave him das boot.

The damsel is now hanging out in an overhead cave and the shrimp took his old spot.

Also, how often should I feed the damsel? I read somewhere you shouldn't feed more than they can eat in 30 seconds, and only once every 2 days. But the damsel ate about 1/2 hour ago and he's still pecking and floatsam and jetsam floating by. Is he still hungry?

So should I attempt to catch the damsel and return to the fish store?

He looks and is swimming healthy and eats like a racehorse.

There's just a chunk of flesh missing from his back side.

I had a huge balacing rock fall earlier today......is it possible the fish could have gotten slightly crushed?

That can definitely happen. Keep an eye on it. He certainly could recover but if your goal is a peaceful reef I'm not sure a damsel is a good choice anyway.

That can definitely happen. Keep an eye on it. He certainly could recover but if your goal is a peaceful reef I'm not sure a damsel is a good choice anyway.

Yeah, he was just put in to help cycle faster....I'm going to give it another week and if the water parameters are still good then will introduce two clowns and see what happens.

Push comes to shove and I capture the damsel and return it to fish store.

Damsels are called Damsels for good reason.. I yelled the word many many times trying to get rid of mine :facepalm:. Get rid of the damsel... if anything hurt it, it would be the emerald crabs. Blood fire is harmless.. they can be a little terrioral against aggressive fish and other cleaner shrimp but other than that they are harmless.

x2 on the Emerald Crab, they seem peaceful and harmless.
After, I bought mine, I always made sure I knew right where he was before reaching in for any reason, anytime movement would be near him the claws would come up, mine even chased my hand around on a few occasions. They are vicious :worried:

x2 on the Emerald Crab, they seem peaceful and harmless.
After, I bought mine, I always made sure I knew right where he was before reaching in for any reason, anytime movement would be near him the claws would come up, mine even chased my hand around on a few occasions. They are vicious :worried:

Not 5 minutes after being added... they began chasing my gobies and scooter blenny. I got rid of them afterward, they were a pain to catch because like most crabs they have a death grip to the rocks.

Back