Aurora

IPT

As if I wasn't busy enough, I started school this semester! Holy f'ing cow, I am just beat from the non stop work. Full time school and full time work are not a good mix. However the old adages remains true: "anything worht having is worht working for", and "if it does not kill you it makes you stronger".

Anyway, obviously photography has been more something I think about and miss lately than something I have been doing. Hopefully we will be doing another bear trip this year, and maybe going back to Fiji (hell yeah!). Right now I just have three weks left of school and then I can claim my life back! In the meantime there was a nice solar flare and I just couldn't stay inside. I'm glad I tore myself away from the books, it was amazing! Only the second time in my 11 years in Alaska I have seen red with the naked eye.

Cheers!
Louis

8_L6A1020_zps256e60a9.jpg

5_L6A1207_zps03b406e7.jpg

3_L6A1180_zpsa2fce202.jpg

1_L6A1055_zps29390357.jpg

Thanks guys .... my neck was all jacked up from tilting my head back aiming the camera overhead! That second one was nuts. It felt like a big tepee of light spreading out and writhing overhead. It was a wild night. Sure does miss taking pictures and doing things for fun! Only a few more weeks now ....

one more :). What I love about these overhead images is the Big Dipper right in the shot! Did you notice it?

4_L6A1202_zpsbfe77e8a.jpg

I'm usually good with easy constellations, and I'm embarassed to say I missed it. But that's because I was so focused on the cool light show. :)

Good use for a fisheye lens too, imho.

Thanks for sharing!

That second one was nuts. It felt like a big tepee of light spreading out and writhing overhead.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but perhaps this would be a time when a video would be preferable to a still image, so the viewer could experience "the writhing"? Crazy talk, I know. ;)

Reef Bass said:
I'm usually good with easy constellations, and I'm embarassed to say I missed it. But that's because I was so focused on the cool light show.

Now that you mention it, I also obliviated (<-new word) the stars. And I'm pretty good with the obscure constellations, too. But, wow, these shots are as good as any I've seen. Thanks Louis!

LOL - I almost missed the big dipper too, but in that second shot it just jumped out at me!

Yeah, a video would be cool. I am old school I guess and never think to do it. I'll have to look back at the shots though. I might be able to make a small video clip. Usuallly the exposures are long so I am not sure you could get video unless the ISO was cranked. Then again I have seen some impressive video so i guess it can be done. Maybe next time I'll set up two camera and let one roll video while I shoot the other. Using an F 1.4 lens when it was at it's brightest I was able to get some images at 1.5 sec or so and ISO 800.

There it is.

Sorry for being a spoiled sport...

At least I made you click on the attachment instead of posting the BIG image.

Ohhh NICE PICS!!!!

Attachments

• 4_L6A1202_zpsbfe77e8a.jpg
    4_L6A1202_zpsbfe77e8a.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
Killer shots!! When did you get these they are really cool I love taking aurora pics. I'm in Ketchikan Alaska so we don't get many here but when we do they are cool, very low on the horizon. I will post one that I got earlier this year.
Love the Second pic almost like they are being sucked out of the earth

Back