Average Cost Per Gallon

i dont understand why people feel larger tanks cost more per gallon. really its just the quality and quantity of the equipment that plays a big part. my 285g cost $20per gallon to set up. i could not set up a 20g with the same caliber and types of equipment for that budget.

30g cube = 1 radion; 300g 8 ft tank =4-5 radions, and so on.

I think the biggest wild card in reefing is lighting, wider the tank the more you will need.

Skimmers start around 250 bucks and go up from there, so a 270 dollar Aqua Maxx ConeS CO-1 for a 60 gallon tank or a ConeS CO-2 is about 375 not that big of a jump.

Real big tanks, salt gets very pricey.

30g cube = 1 radion; 300g 8 ft tank =4-5 radions, and so on.

This actually proves the point of larger costs LESS per gallon... 10x the water volume at 4-5x the price...

I find the bigger you go the cheaper per gallon. 1 radion is more efficient on deeper and wider tanks, skimmers are cheaper per gallon, tank cost reduces until you go SUPER large, controller price drops, salt is the same, etc

This actually proves the point of larger costs LESS per gallon... 10x the water volume at 4-5x the price...

I find the bigger you go the cheaper per gallon. 1 radion is more efficient on deeper and wider tanks, skimmers are cheaper per gallon, tank cost reduces until you go SUPER large, controller price drops, salt is the same, etc

I guess I was looking at it wrong. Equipment for larger tanks I guess would be cheaper per gallon. But not cheaper in overall expense. Just as mentioned above, salt alone cost a fortune for bigger tanks, as do additives, rock to fill it, sand, and corals to fill it.

My 28 without sump, mostly high end stuff ran about 1200 without rock and coral. We dont talk about that :)

What's it's matter if you enjoy it. I know some that have spent 10k on dui tickets just to hang out in a bar with a bunch of drunks. Everyone needs a hobby. (hole to dump extra money into)

Back