baby squid (PICS)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13281547#post13281547 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gholland
Sorry it didn't work out GoblinFish. What were you feeding them? Live foods? Also, fish in a ceph tank is almost never a good idea... If the ceph doesn't eat the fish, then the fish usually stress or harass the ceph. You might have better luck if you try them in a species tank next time... Let us know!

Thanks for sharing!

Yea i would like to give it a second try but i dont have the time right now. I was feeding them shrimps and silversides. They will eat just about anything, the problem is getting the food to them. They will refuse everything until u actually shove it between their tentacles. My 2 clowns were very curious and eveytime they would get too close the squid would squirt ink.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13281844#post13281844 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TrappedMetal
Get a few more, put them with no fish and cover the tank....then post on tonmo with what happens and also on here.
Also, did they not try to eat each other?

No they did not try to eat each other they were in a big group when i first spotted them on the beach so i think they are pretty peaceful when together.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13281919#post13281919 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GoblinFish
I was feeding them shrimps and silversides. They will eat just about anything, the problem is getting the food to them. They will refuse everything until u actually shove it between their tentacles.

Just to be clear... these were previously frozen shrimp and silversides that you were shoving between their tentacles, not live?

So cute, unfortunately as said they need a huge cylindrical tank since the jet around so much. I have never heard of anyone succesfully keeping a squid, even the ceph experts over at Tonmo

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13557170#post13557170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Octavarium
So cute, unfortunately as said they need a huge cylindrical tank since the jet around so much. I have never heard of anyone succesfully keeping a squid, even the ceph experts over at Tonmo

Most people don't even try. If you have an appropriate setup, a ton of time, and know how to take care of them they aren't that hard... of course I guess that's the case with anything. The hardest part is having the food supply and time to feed as many times as the squid require. One of the reasons public aquariums are able to keep them alive is because they have staff there constantly to be able to feed them when they need to be fed. With a large live food supply and reliable feeders 5 times a day squid would not be super difficult to keep.

Let me know if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard that the ink from cephelepods can be toxic to the other inhabitants of the tank? Seeing as how in a tank, unlike the ocean, the ink cant just disapate into millions of gallans of water the toxins would be more concentrated!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13282372#post13282372 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gholland
Just to be clear... these were previously frozen shrimp and silversides that you were shoving between their tentacles, not live?

since he didn't reply we can only say that was the case eh? Honestly if you can't care for them approriately, let em stay where they are fine. don't forget he also plucked them straight out of the sea and placed them directly with his other fish/coral. Now I have yet to hear of any diseases capable of passing from Cephalopods to fish, but he could have easily passed some parasites in that water to his tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13579094#post13579094 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cmlloveless
Let me know if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard that the ink from cephelepods can be toxic to the other inhabitants of the tank? Seeing as how in a tank, unlike the ocean, the ink cant just disapate into millions of gallans of water the toxins would be more concentrated!

As far as ink goes I think it's just a matter of having an adequately sized (water volume) aquarium and appropriate filtration (powerful skimmer). It's never caused problems/noticeable side-effects in any of my tanks.

Back