Back after 7 years..... Nano 10g

DustanT

Hey guys it's been a long while since I did my last tank, looks like 2016!

So I've moved all over hell and back and finally been in a place for a year now and wanted to do a super simple 10 gallon tank. I was at Petco and they had all Their tanks on sale 50% off so picked up this rimless for 27 bucks.

I'm interested in what you guys have done for filters and lighting. Looking around I see some nice HOBs with a refugium mod.

AquaClear 110? can I do smaller?

Light

50w heater

Going to try this ATO method not pretty but getting good reviews.

Stock will be coral and small inverts.

IMG_2880.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome back. I haven’t done a tank smaller than 40g since sometime around 1992. So, not sure on the filter. But, the rest of your plan looks good so far. I’ll definitely follow along.

If you’re going to use live rock, which I personally prefer. I’d recommend either Tampa Bay Saltwater, KP Aquatics or Gulf Live Rock. I haven’t used TBS or Gulf personally, but I’ve heard great things about them over the years. I have gotten KP’s rock and was amazed with the bio-diversity.

Welcome back! I too can’t help with the HOB filters. I know back in the day the 110 was the standard for the DIY refugium just due to space. I would imagine it could be scaled, but your space would be limited. Hope this helps some.

Leak tested and ran the AquaClear 20 after making a stand from a stool and a shelf. Seems to be working well.
IMG_2890.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2893.JPG
    IMG_2893.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2892.JPG
    IMG_2892.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
Looks great! You may find the arch a little tall if that has standard 10gallon dimensions

Ok so here it is in the tank and the arch is going to be 1" under the water level. I might drop it down a little after I fill it up and get a better look. Just going slow and making little changes as I go. The tank is 19 3/4 long by 10 wide by 12 deep, inside dimensions.

Attachments

• IMG_2901.JPG
    IMG_2901.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2900.JPG
    IMG_2900.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2902.JPG
    IMG_2902.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Ok so here it is in the tank and the arch is going to be 1" under the water level. I might drop it down a little after I fill it up and get a better look. Just going slow and making little changes as I go.
I like it 👍

And I'm wet, local shop sells water already mixed and heated so it was easy to get going, dosed and ready for a fish.
Eheim 50 watt heater, gravity ATO and the aqua clear 20(100gph) filter running.
Dry rock with CaribSea Aragalive

IMG_2909.JPG

IMG_2908.JPG

Just watched an interesting video on canister filters, looks like it would be an easier way to go on a Nano, check it out.

Ya, I've watched him before. Canister plus an algae reactor in line is a good alternative system.

Ya, I've watched him before. Canister plus an algae reactor in line is a good alternative system.
I like the glass intake and outflow as well, the built in surface skimmer is nice too. Looks to be about 45 bucks for both on amazon.

Also found this one for nano tanks

Last edited:
Back