Back in the Hobby after 15-20 yrs

Sounds like it’s coming along just fine. It could be processing the ammonia quickly and breaking it down. Was that dry or live rock?

Well it was cured rock, meaning it was in water at the store, but it sat in the tank for a week without water or sand. I checked nitrates and nothing, but today I’m gonna test again and see.

Hmm I’m betting the rock was still wet on the inside so some bacteria likely survived would be my guess

So I tested ammonia and nitrate today (4th day of cycle) and no ammonia again. Nitrates at 5ppm. Weird
I don't think it's weird. It was cured rock and bacteria is resilient. Live rock would come on a boat, in a box, wrapped in newspaper for God knows how long and there would be a lot more than bacteria still living.

H1Cu.gif

I still can’t wrap my head around 5 fish chillin my tank! This will be the status quo for a bit, kind of canary in the coal mine moment. Apex and lights should be here in 2 days, but I will need mounts for the lights, so tank will remain lightless for awhile, which was my plan anyways. Trying to avoid an algae outbreak. My vacation in august will be the crux of going full speed. Planning on Fiji! Then once back, lights, fish, still gonna wait for coralline before any corals

So nitrates are up to 20…gonna do a water change this Saturday. Added a long nosed hawk fish as well, and just picked a screen top kit. Light mounts will be picked up Friday, but simply to put ‘em on the tank and use them to check things out from time to time. A cell phone light spooks everyone

Back