Bacteria bloom after water change?

Graffiti Reef

Hello all, Im going to be getting a green mandarin in next week and wanted to get started on populating my nano with pods. He eats frozen but I feel a balanced diet and as much biodiversity wont hurt so I bought a bottle of pods and seachem's phyto and zoo plankton to help these guys get established. The day before I added them I did a water change. All parems were looking good. I woke up this morning to what appears to be a bacteria bloom. Water is cloudy and slightly milky. No green or brown tint. No hair algae or cyano anywhere in tank. Only thing in the tank rn is a baseball size of red macro algae, a hermit, and my LR. Fish died two weeks ago but Ive been dropping a few pellets to keep the lone hermit fed and nitrifying bacteria up. I verified the pods were active and alive when I added them. No experience using the plankton though. I threw in an airstone to boost dissolved O2 as I read it can help resolve blooms. Anybody else have any insight?
Amm <0
Salinity 1.025
Temp 75
Alk 200
Ph 8.4
Nitrite <0
Nitrate<0

First thought is how old is your system? Second is do you have any idea why your fish died? Third, did you add the phyto and zooplankton after the water change and befor it got cloudy? Seems to me on the given information your system may still be pretty young and you might just be seeing some of the "uglies" that occur during the cycling and maturation processes.

plankton dont last long AT all in the tank (alive). Imagine blending up a shrimp and pouring it in the water...every day. Thats a TON of bio load.
What your going through is normal, if you keep feeding regularly (everyday) eventually the bacteria will grow to complete the cycle for the extra food. Cloudy water is bacteria FYI...
Skimmer, UV, carbon are the only way to take it out of the water (unnaturally).

HUGE exclaimer, bacteria blooms do use up oxygen, so adding an airs stone/having a good skimmer will keep fish from dying.

lastly, when posting your parameters, say what brand test your using. A swing arm salinity reader is hugely different than a digital... salt is easy to read, now imagine something like calcium which is far more complicated.

Back