Bacterial Boosters - Good or Bad?

Rovert

Premium Member
I'm presently cycling a tank with live rock and was curious to know if any of the 'boosters' like Microbacter, Bio-Spria or Dr. Tim's is a benefit, or voodoo. Because the live rock took a bit too long to arrive (even with counter-to-counter air freight), the die-off is pretty bad and I'd like to preserve as much life as possible by reducing the ammonia spike asap rather than waiting it out. If any of these products would be helpful, it's worth giving it a shot.

I think they all are beneficial. I've used microbacter7 when I had a mini-crash/ammonia spike and I think it helped. Nothing died and ammonia was down in the safe zone by the next day. Lots of people use Dr Tims with good results.

Yes, absolutely, diversity is always big plus, but with good LR, instead of dumping the bottle, I’d dose daily until used.
I can cycle a tank in a couple of days with dry rock and any of the widely available bacterias, instead of months, gone are those darts.
No voodoo.
Bio and Tim’s stuff I’ve used for years….happy.
Excellent question!

I'm presently cycling a tank with live rock and was curious to know if any of the 'boosters' like Microbacter, Bio-Spria or Dr. Tim's is a benefit, or voodoo. Because the live rock took a bit too long to arrive (even with counter-to-counter air freight), the die-off is pretty bad and I'd like to preserve as much life as possible by reducing the ammonia spike asap rather than waiting it out. If any of these products would be helpful, it's worth giving it a shot.
I think they work.
I have fairly new Siporax kept in reactor. I dose carbon / vinegar directly into it. It works a bit yes but when I also add few ml of bacteria booster into it ( dinitrifying bacteria ) then my nitrates go down rapidly ! So yes I think it works.

Back