Need some help with reef tank setup

Cuzzoo

Hi I’m cuz , so a couple months ago I decided to start up a reef tank. I’ve been doing research none stop since and I believe I’m ready to start it up in two or three weeks when I finish getting the equipment. I’m going to get a 10 lb starter aquacultured live rock from kp aquatics and have it overnighted by and start the cycle of my 20 gallon tank the day I get the live rock. I plan on starting the cycle with Dr Tim’s One and Only and adding a clown the next day after pouring the Dr Tim’s in the pre made saltwater from my LFS. I won’t be turning my light on for at least two months so I can avoid to much algae. I wanna do three or four fish tops and the rest mushrooms , corals and anemones. Any tips or advice? Thank you in advance!

Hi I’m cuz , so a couple months ago I decided to start up a reef tank. I’ve been doing research none stop since and I believe I’m ready to start it up in two or three weeks when I finish getting the equipment. I’m going to get a 10 lb starter aquacultured live rock from kp aquatics and have it overnighted by and start the cycle of my 20 gallon tank the day I get the live rock. I plan on starting the cycle with Dr Tim’s One and Only and adding a clown the next day after pouring the Dr Tim’s in the pre made saltwater from my LFS. I won’t be turning my light on for at least two months so I can avoid to much algae. I wanna do three or four fish tops and the rest mushrooms , corals and anemones. Any tips or advice? Thank you in advance!
Welcome, Cuz!

The rock from KP is top notch…you won’t be disappointed with that decision. Having said that, with ten pounds of top notch live rock in a twenty gallon tank, I don’t know if I would even bother with the Ammonium chloride additive. If you add a clown fish and ten pounds of rock on day one, you’re money would be better spent on a bottle of nitrifying bacteria such as Fritz turbostart or similar. Those who use Dr Tim’s ammonium chloride do so in lieu of adding livestock (in an effort to cycle without fish). In your case, you’ll have a fish (source of ammonia), as well as a great start on bacteria from the live rock. The Fritz I mentioned will help to diversify your bacteria population.

Yep, KP's rock is awesome stuff. If you have the money, I'd go for their premium rock instead of the starter rock.

Thank y’all for the help! I’ll still add the Dr Tim’s One and Only since I already have it. I’ll have to look into the premium live rock. I’m a little nervous about the start up because I don’t wanna kill the fish!!

Yep, KP's rock is awesome stuff. If you have the money, I'd go for their premium rock instead of the starter rock.
The premium live rock from KP Aquatic's definitely is the way to go but unfortunately they’re out of stock right now. I don’t plan on starting my tank for another three weeks so hopefully they’ll have it back in stock by then.

The premium live rock from KP Aquatic's definitely is the way to go but unfortunately they’re out of stock right now. I don’t plan on starting my tank for another three weeks so hopefully they’ll have it back in stock by then.
Even if it says out of stock, call and talk to Phillip. He may be able to get his hands on something that isn’t currently in their warehouse. They really try to accommodate.

Yep, if that’s not available in your timeframe, Tampa Bay Saltwater and Gulf Live Rock have good reviews.

Thank you for the other options! TBsaltwater is out of stock also but Gulf Live rock isn’t. I’ll be keeping a eye on all three until it’s time to order

You have more patience than me on the lighting, my lights are one of my favorite features, although I do run a fairly dirty tank and have to scrub the glass more frequently than some lol. welcome to the addiction...

I wanna turn them on asap but I also wanna avoid causing to much bad algae growth! So I’m gonna wait two months at least , I may turn them on once or twice for my son to go krazy over the tank.

IMG_1358.jpeg

Got the sand , water and some of the rock in today. Hoping it’ll be cleared up in the morning!! Still waiting to order the live rock but until then I’m moving the rock that’s in there around until I decide on how I want it which probably won’t happen until I have the live rock in place.

Attachments

• IMG_1420.jpeg
    IMG_1420.jpeg
    501.4 KB · Views: 9
Back