Bad day in the hobby...

bradleym

Premium Member
Had this bright green bird's-nest in my tank for a few weeks. Yesterday morning I saw a mushroom coral lifted up in the shape of a funnel so it could sting the lowest branch. By 8pm last night I noticed the branch had turned white, so I figured I would have to trim off the dead parts, or maybe frag the whole thing, and decided to do it when the lights came on today. But when lights came on today...

I still have plenty of healthy corals including 2 types of Montipora and some LPS too, but man, this was heartbreaking after finally getting the tank to look good for once. I don't even know what else to say, except keep an eye on your corals because RTN is no joke.
4ae3415232c7cb91cf6935183bf52a32.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

That really sucks! I've had my share of RTN lately, but luckily only half dying then recovering. Stony corals are definitely more challenging.

That's definitely a bummer. I don't have any green birdsnest but I could hook you up with some other sps frags if you want to swing by some time.

Come to the pizza night this Thursday. I have a mini colony of purple stylo that you can take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the positivity. I have to work on Thursday but I'll have to try and make it out to a PN soon. It's been a ridiculous amount of time since I've had the same free Thursday as the club...

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

water changes and stability.

We all have learnt this lesson hard. Hang in there and learn from it. Youll have your tank going in no time!

If you are coming to pizza night I have a piece of green birdsnest that broke off main colony a few weeks ago.

Ugh, this sucks man. My mag dropped on me again and I lost a couple as well.

Where's your nems at?

So... the next day after I saw this I went to take a picture and noticed three of them had started to bleach. They got worse and worse over the next few days, and are almost entirely bleach out now. So I've been doing water changes, and ordered a new essentials test kit so I can find out what's going wrong *this time*... Not sure if the birdsnest was the start of the issue or just the first symptom, but either way my tank is just having a rough week.

That's definitely a bummer. I don't have any green birdsnest but I could hook you up with some other sps frags if you want to swing by some time.

Come to the pizza night this Thursday. I have a mini colony of purple stylo that you can take.

If you are coming to pizza night I have a piece of green birdsnest that broke off main colony a few weeks ago.

I just want to call it out again - you guys are awesome! Thanks to each of you for your offers. For now I need to figure out what happened to my system, but maybe when I get my tank stable again I'll start frag hunting again :thumbsup:

water changes and stability.

We all have learnt this lesson hard. Hang in there and learn from it. Youll have your tank going in no time!

This has been my number one goal for the last week. I've been doing water changes every other day and will keep going until my test kits arrive and I can hopefully pinpoint an issue I wasn't aware of.

I just want to call it out again - you guys are awesome! Thanks to each of you for your offers. For now I need to figure out what happened to my system, but maybe when I get my tank stable again I'll start frag hunting again :thumbsup:

Stability first was assumed. ;) Just give me a shout when you're ready.

Back