Baking 'Baking Soda', quick question

Mitch529

I am about to make my own Part 2 by baking Baking Soda, all of the pans I have are pretty old and I don't feel safe putting the baking soda straight onto the pan. Is it safe to put it on a layer of Aluminum foil for baking? Just want to make sure the baking soda will not react with the foil or something.

Spread baking soda (594 grams or about 2 ¼ cups) on a baking tray and heat in an ordinary oven at 300°F for one hour to drive off water and carbon dioxide.

Thanks,
Mitch

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12282681#post12282681 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by a2fire2i
I put mine on a peice of parchment paper..

Thanks, that sounds better than foil to me. I happen to have some parchment paper around here somewhere.

I think most pans that are not actually crumbling with rust are OK for dry solids, as opposed to liquids in them. Foil should also be OK. :)

Thanks Randy, I went ahead with the parchment paper it worked well. I was just worried about the pans since they have been used many times there may be residual soap, oil, etc.. that would leech into the Baking Soda.

I use a 13 x 9 glass pyrex baking dish and mix it the soda up after 30 minutes or 1/2 through the baking cycle.

Back