banded coral shrimp or scarlet cleaner shrimp

super stooge

hi, my first tank is currently cycling and im still trying to decide which of these two different types of shrimp i should get in the future.

the candidates are:

the scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=696&N=0

and the coral banded shrimp
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=698&N=0

im looking for any opinions and reasons for which would do better in my tank and which would be easier to care for

any aditional information provided on either of them is greatly apreciated

I have always like a pair of skunks in the tank...They always seem to add some "personality" to the tank....and mine just eat whatever I happen to be feeding the fish that day...

I have a pair of cleaners as well and they are definitely a fun addition to the tank. Not to mention that my fish will often get cleaned by the shrimp which seems to be an added bonus.

I have a CBS that is AWESOME to watch - he totally shows off when people are looking at the tank. That said, he picks around at my zoas and jumps on/corners the fish. No harm has been done (so far).

I have one CBS and one cleaner shrimp, and I have to say my vote goes for the cleaner shrimp. He has a much better personality, and he is very friendly. He stays busy and visible almost all the time, and goes crazy when you feed the fish, gobbling up every bit he can find...

The coral banded shrimp is very pretty, and somewhat active- he's just not as entertaining, and is only visible maybe 50% of the time.

That said, I also recently got a golden coral banded shrimp, and it is pretty neat. I like the color a lot, and it has more of a shy/curious personality than the regular CBS. It came with a tank I just bought, and I really like it.

I still like my cleaner the best though! :) The fish cleaning is a nice bonus too, and I feel like, if you're going to shill out $20 for a tiny shrimp, he should at least be very visible and active.

These are just my personal opinions though, and each shrimp is different, so it's kinda hard to say one is better than another...

i know quite a few people that have kept CBS and Cleaner pairs together and had no problems.

thank you for all the replys so far. sorry i havnt been responding, had to sleep eventually :(.

so far im leaning towards the scarlet cleaner shrimp. any more opinions or information is still greatly valued and apreciated :bounce2:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11052515#post11052515 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by super stooge
so the cleaners would be happier in a pair?

they are more active in pairs, 1 will be lonely and not do much

I bought a CBS for my 14 gallon biocube. He was almost always visible and very spectacular looking But when I added a firefish and watchman goby he attacked both with in a minute . He mortally wounded the firefish and shredded the goby.
So I moved him to my 55g FOWLR tank where I still see him trying to grab my 4 inch tomato clown and 4 inch foxface. He is now about 12 to 14 inches from tip of antennae to tip of antennae. Occasionally i find him munching on a snail but not to often. I do have to admit mine was always well behaved with corals but I would not trust them with small fish. They will catch and eat them eventually.

So as much as I like their looks and personality ,I would recommend only putting them in larger tanks with larger fish.

There is a smaller golden variety of CBS that are supposed to be much more mild mannered.

Here is a picture of mine when I first got him! Aw!,I think he just want's a big hug.

shrhug-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 cleaners and one cb in my 120 ive read alot about cbs being mean i havent had any problems with mine but,i honestly have so many hermits snails etc i wouldnt notice anything missing,i did just add a 1 inch anemone shrimp tonite if he dosent get ate,id have to say that cbs are ok but that could just be my cb too.oh yeah my cbc is probally 10 to 12 inches from antenna to antenna my cleaners are about 4 inches,ive never seen them fight.I personally like the looks of the cleaners better but i also like diversity.in my tank my cleaners are almost always out and the cbs out about 75 percent of the time.

I started off with 1 cleaner and 1 coral banded. I am picking up another cleaner tonight.
Like all have said coral banded normally hide most of the time (if there are hiding spots in your tank) the cleaner seems to be out all the time and very active. I do agree with a pair of them that is why I am getting another tonight.

Back