40 Gallon Peninsula Build

Protandrous niña

Hello everyone. Even though I am not going to start work on my aquarium for 7-8 months, I thought that I would check in with my current plan/livestock lists and see if there are any recommendations or ideas.
Tank:
  • 40 gallon breeder in a peninsula layout (one end will be facing a wall and acting as a room divider)
  • 20 gallon tank for the sump
Equipment:
  • Protein Skimmer: IOAOI PS-75 HOB skimmer
  • Circulation Pumps: 3X Jebao CWP-5000 (two for the tanks, one for mixing up water)
  • Lighting: Fluval Sea LED (I know that this light isn't the strongest but I am only going to have a few soft corals and fish, nothing light demanding)
  • Heater: 2X 50 watt Fluval heater
  • Overflow: Bulk Reef Supply medium overflow box (planning on drilling the tank myself)
  • Return Pump: hygger 800 gph return pump
  • Activated carbon and polyfilter as needed
  • Possibly filter socks or filter foam
40 lbs dry rock
40 lbs dry aragonite sand
10 lbs live rock
20 lbs live aragonite sand

Fish/inverts
  • Chalk bass
  • Royal gramma
  • 2X ocellaris clownfish
  • Banggai cardinal
  • Banded shrimp goby/tiger pistol shrimp pair
  • Firefish
  • Skunk cleaner shrimp
  • Trochus and cerith snails
Corals
  • Mushroom polyp
  • Colt coral
  • Xenia
  • Green star polyp
  • Devils finger
  • Zoanthids

Thank you

Looks like a good plan. I don’t know much about the Fluval Sea light so hopefully it’s strong enough as I’m not seeing much in the way of par numbers

Sounds like a plan. Like Shane said, I question the lighting choice. I don’t know much about the fluval lights but it’s only 32 watts. I would think (I’m not an LED user) you could get something stronger at that price point.

I’m not sure your budget, but there’s an open box Lominie Pixie 80 (or P80) on eBay for $125.

That would give you 75-80 watts in case you wanted to increase your light intensity. Again, I know next to nothing about LEDs as I’m just starting to research them.

FWIW, I have a 40 breeder and am running a 175 watt 10k metal halide and a 36” 30 watt actinic LED light strip.

ETA: I only know about the Lominie’s as I’ve been looking at their P150. I’m eventually going to run out of metal halide bulbs which no one makes for reefs anymore. So, I’m trying to figure out a budget full spectrum LED.

Lighting: Fluval Sea LED
There are some better options that are more future proof if you do some research (when you get the itch for more demanding corals). As an example here's some new old stock that I'm considering a couple of myself. Much higher build quality and intensity for a low risk price.

Euroquatics Angel 95 Watt Aquarium Light | eBay

Does this 40 gallon have a center brace on top? Also a factor in lighting selection, in which case you might prefer two smaller lights to a single big one.

Heater: 2X 50 watt Fluval heater
I would go 2 x 100 or a single 200 but that also depends on where you live.

Thank you, I'll make sure to look into those. I haven't purchased any of the equipment yet and am just in the early phases or research, so everything on my list is flexible. I am definitely going to use the larger heaters now that you point that out, our winters are pretty cold up here.

We’re here to help. Love your Chalk Bass avatar, one of my my favorite fish.

Update:
Picked up a secondhand non-tempered 50 gallon aquarium this weekend for $50. I decided to get a 50 because it would fit the space better and I will have more volume to play with.
IMG_20240120_171526.jpg

Back