Banggai Cardinalfish an endangered species

I'm going to try to convince my LFS to stop importing Banggais. I think if any fish can be captive bred there shouldn't be a need to import, let alone importing an endangered species. We'll see what happens.

Frank pretty much it it on the head. As far as CB banggais is concerned not many breeders breed them because their are so few babies and not much money in it for these fish.

Dave

Our LFS is selling some right now for $38 each. I think at that price someone could make some money off of breeding them. I couldn’t find anyone in the store who could tell me if they were wild or captive bred though... however, knowing the retards that work there they're most likely wild caught.

Considering current wholesale pricing, $38 each is highway robbery for wildcaught ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10981480#post10981480 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billsreef
Considering current wholesale pricing, $38 each is highway robbery for wildcaught ;)

but about right on target for the little hole in the wall shop that ordered one offline and paid 35 for the overnight shipping on it :)

Than that shop needs to learn how to order better ;) If you order enough cheap bread and butter items like snails and hermits, even with overnight fedex you can drop the per item shipping considerably.

Lets see... the bad orders our LFS has made: 6 crocea clams that looked like crap so no one bought any and they all died in the store, a blue spot stingray that no one in this little city could house that lived for a month in a 10 gal tank in the store before dieing, 3 elegance corals in the past year: came in half dead and died in the store, and they always have at least one "white purple tip anemone" also known as a bleached sebae in stock in the regular fish tanks under really old regular florescent lighting.

The good thing about the store is that I can bring in my Xenia, Anthelia, Kenya tree and Green Star polyps and get at least $20 each for a small colony and they can keep it alive usually until it sells.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10979769#post10979769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by whatcaneyedo
Our LFS is selling some right now for $38 each. I think at that price someone could make some money off of breeding them. I couldn’t find anyone in the store who could tell me if they were wild or captive bred though... however, knowing the retards that work there they're most likely wild caught.

Damn I already made a post. Must have not went through. Anyway a lfs does not pay that much for them more like 1/4 that and that price is high. Be lucky if that lfs is paying 8.00 those fish. There are allot of cost involved and amount of grow out time to captive raise a fish that you are lucky to get 25 juvies out of.

Example is Mandrin gobies are very possible to captive breed right now but no one will. Why because they take almost a year to reach marketable size. Plus this fish is so cheap because it is a slow fish and easily caught so wholesale prices are low.

Clown sold at 5.00 is not bad considering you can raise sometimes hundreds at a time.

Dave

I think the prices in Canada are way higher than they are in the U.S.A. Where I live, just like whatcaneyedo said, they are sold for $39.99. Also, captive bred fish in general are sold for more than wild caught.

The Red List will not effect wild caught imports. It has no legal authority of any kind, it just makes people sit up and take notice. The hope is that making the Red List will make the CITES people pay more attention to the biology rather than the politics at next years convention and put the Banggai's on the Cites.

IMO if they look the same as the wild ones and cost the same then we should leave the wild ones alone. I know they taste the same :p, kinda like sea-chicken.

Ask your LFS to order you in Aquacultured. I have several sources for them and only sell the aquacultured specimens due to their declining numbers in the wild. One good source is ORA so any stores that buy through them can get them in regularly.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10796761#post10796761 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfp1016
I'm not sure how you all are so factually stating where your LFS' fish come from. I think we've all heard many different tales of BS coming from the LFS' mouth, why would this be any different? I'm not taking sides, just saying LFS will say yes to just about any question you ask them....

That's unfair to group us all together. Despite the bulk of thought on many boards, there are LFS owners who care and do what they can to minimize the taking of wild stock. I know for a fact that there are several just in Central Florida. It's hard for stores like mine to be able to do a good job when we're always grouped as one. Perhaps, instead of just slamming us all, encourage your LFS to buy more consciensciously then help spread the word! This will surely help turn the tide, so to speak, as those who are appreciated for their efforts will see that more folks are interested in being environmentally aware! Of course, those who's business drops off will have to rethink their practices to regain their customer base.

I agree. It seems like a lot of people bash LFS's on here, and I'm not going to defend them all, but for every LFS that demonstrates poor practice, there's 100+ customers that have no idea what the hell they're doing. I'm not saying any of you, but there's a lot of people in general that need to be educated.

Back